dieting while healing fractured femur, ay or nay?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by slurpster, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

Hey guys need a little advice advice here, can't seem to get a straight reply from any health experts. Here's my situation. I've dropped almost a 100lbs over the past year, went from 323lbs nov. 2006 to 226 dec 2007. Took a break the past 2 months from dieting but still lifted my ass off 5 days a week. Currently i'm up to 237lbs, but gained a decent amount of muscle.

My plan was to start cutting again in january till june, but I ended up having an accident at therapy. I ended up sustaining 2 fractures with slight displacement to the supracondylar region (bottom part of the femur by the knee) on my femur. Now I am stuck with my leg in extension for 12-16 weeks.

My question is would it be ok to start cutting now as long as I as I got all my vitamins and minerals in everyday? I have no restrictions as far as working out goes(can't use my legs due to quadraplegia any how). I'd hate to be gaining weight this whole time i'm layed up.

2. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

I have no scientific basis for this whatsoever, but I can't imagine dieting would hamper your bone healing. I assume you'll have follow up appointments with your doc?

3. slurpster

Every 2 weeks I get xrays done. Only negative thing i've read is if my body goes into ketosis then i'll be at risk, but other than that i've found nothing.

4. trancezj

trancezj New Member

unless by diet you mean bulimic, you shouldn't have a problem. You should be feeding your body what it needs even in a diet.

5. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

id do some research on what foods help heal that type of injury... then eat that a lot.

a "diet" is not equal to starving yourself.

Eating healthy food is always a good thinkg.

dieting doesnt exist. theres bullimia, anorexia and healthy eating. if you are eating high quality foods, then good idea. but if you decide to reduce calorie counts to drop weight then its prolly a bad idea b.c you wont be gettnig all your nutrients.

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I'd eat at maintanence, don't want to risk your body not getting enough nutrients to heal the bone.

7. slurpster

This is my logic also. I'm getting my daily values of vitamins and minerals but I was wanting to go into a slight calorie deficit to continue losing weight.

8. trancezj

trancezj New Member

Id double up on alcohol too. Works for me.

9. trancezj

trancezj New Member

well, the only problem I could see wiht this is inactivity. With a fucking femur fracture, I'm fairly certain you're not burning even the normal amount of calories. You'll likely have to cut them just to maintain.

10. slurpster

My overall choices of foods are good. Lots of whole foods, very little processed foods. When I think of the term "diet" I tend to think "calorie restriction". I'm getting in plenty of green veggies which are the best choices for healing bones.

11. trancezj

trancezj New Member

ps, what happened? the goat buck on reentry? I hate it when that happens.

12. slurpster

Yeah, I hear you man. I'm just pissed about this situation and don't wanna gain back too much.

13. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:rofl:

you have to call the brewery directly for such large orders right?

if you are eating at a maintenance you shouldn't gain a singe pound bro.

14. slurpster

well i'm in a power wheelchair as it is. I'm paralyzed from the chest down with limited function in my hands and arms.(no hand function, slight wrist extensors, no tricep function, partial paralysis of the pecs, abs, and back, no function below waist) I lose weight at about 1200 calories, maintain at 1500ish, and gain at 1800ish. My cutting diet switches from 40/40/20 split on p/c/f to a 40/20/40 split when i hit a plateau. I exercise 5 days a week for about 20 hours total.

I ended breaking my femur doing locomotor training. Had a misplaced step and my knee bent in sideways towards my other knee. I'm stuck in a leg immobilizer for 12-16 weeks.

15. slurpster

Lmao, I'm hooked up on drugs right now. got some vicodin, percocet, tyenol 3, xanax, prozac, and flexerill. Sound like fucking lil whyte here.

Oxycotton - Xanax Bars - Percocet and Lortab
    Valiums - Morphine - patches - Exstacy - and it's all up for grab
    What you want - what you need - hit me up I got you mane

16. Drewski

Drewski New Member

I don't do illegal drugs anymore. Now I just do the legal drugs. Tonight I'm on NyQuil and Sudafed. Let me tell you something, folks. Forget about cocaine and heroine. All you need is NyQuil and Sudafed. I'm telling you right now, I took the NyQuil five years ago. I just came out of the coma tonight before the fucking show! Claus Vanbulo was standing over my bed going, "Denis, get up! There's something the matter with Sunny! Hurry up!" I love NyQuil. Man, I love it! I love it. I love it. I love it. It's the best thing shit ever invented. Isn't it, huh? I love the name alone. NyQuil - Capitol N, small Y, big fucking Q! I love that fucking Q, don't you!? What a great advertising idea! Put a huge fucking Q on the box. They'll get high and stare at it. "The Q is talking to me! The Q is talking to me!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.