Dieting, and interested in supplements

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by AKABatman, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKABatman

AKABatman OT Supporter

Note: Didn't mean for this to be so long, cliffs at bottom

I'm a pretty big guy (and i don't mean tall), at 5'11" and weighing about 265lbs at last check. This summer I really want to drop about 60 pds. The goal I've set out, is to lose the 60 pounds over 17 weeks, which equates to about 3.5lbs/week in loss as the goal...

I've lost about 4 pounds already in about five days (i started a week ago at 270, but from now, at 265, i'd like to get to about 205-210 in 17 weeks... which is around august 31st.)

I've started dieting, and been pretty good about it. This site has been an incredible site, especially the archives. I've started cutting calories as much as I can, and trying to increase my cardiovascular excercise similarly. From what I can find, I'm using 3600-4000 calories a day between basal, and lifestyle, and over the past week i've been able to keep calories between 2000 and 2500, without excessive exhaustion.

I've cut out fast food entirely, which used to be my guilty little secret, and i'm entirely off soda and sugar-packed juices, replacing those with water, and lots of it. I also like a glass or two of V8 or tomato juice a day. I've also cut alot of fat from my meals, and am trying my hardest to keep my portions smaller and eating more frequently. I used to eat twice a day, since I'm not a fan of breakfast, but I'm up to 3-4 meals a day, including breakfast, and I find i have more energy throughout the day. Also, while away at school i tend to drink (alcohol) alot, and I know those are a tonne of wasted calories, and over the summer I don't drink, or drink very little, so i think that will help immensely

I understand at the start of my diet I should lose more weekly than later on, since I will lose much more water weight than anything else.

To the point of my post, I'm interesting in including a dieting supplement to my diet. I'm not sure if I should, or not; and if I do, could anyone recommend one to me? I'm interested in Thermogenics, but not entirely sure if they actually work and are safe, and I am also interested in supplements with caffeine for added energy or appetite suppresors to help me keep my portions even smaller.

I am planning on keeping the change in lifestyle for a very lengthy time, and hope I can cut a fair bit of weight before going back to school in September.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cliffs:
    - I'm fat (5'11", 265lbs)
    - Want to lose 60lbs in 17 weeks; about 3.5lbs a week
    - Am cutting calories and increasing activities with some minor success
    - Interested in diet supplements, maybe Thermogenics, or energy boosters (caffeine), or appetite suppresants
    - Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

3.5 lbs a week isn't going to be doable without massive muscle loss unless you're juicing. You do have a decent amount to lose though so it might go faster for the first few weeks.

Best, cheapest and proven effective thermo is just a simple EC stack. www.drumlib.com has a lot of good information about dosing, etc.

What's your workout scheme like?

3. AKABatman

AKABatman OT Supporter

don't really have a workout scheme as of yet, but i'm planning on doing some jogging, biking and working out on a punching bag...

4. etech

etech New Member

I would save the supplements for later, if at all, for when you hit a plateau and need more help.

If you have read the archives you know that weight training will be necessary to look your best and lose fat and still have some muscle. It will also make losing the fat much easier. The cardio is good to start out with to build up endurance but buy some weights or join a gym.

I agree with Elfling, 2 lbs. a week would be more realistic though everyone is different. Don't be disappointed if you hit plateaus. I would drop 5-8 lbs. and then stick for a week or two then drop 5-8 more pounds. Just stick with it.

5. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

lift weights

6. AKABatman

AKABatman OT Supporter

thanks for the advice

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Is there a reason you decided on cardio only? Do you have access to a gym?

I agree that you might want to save the supplements for later. You'll get pretty good newbie results if you just start lifting, clean up your diet, watch your calories and throw in some cardio. At your weight, the 2000 calories a day will probably be fine for you for a while, especially with regular workout.

8. AKABatman

AKABatman OT Supporter

i just thought cardio would be best for burning calories, but i am going to start a lifting routine since everyone says its a good idea

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Yep. Cardio burns calories while you're doing it, but muscle burns more calories at rest. And it looks good :)

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Do both.

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

3000 calories (clean calories, not Mcdonalds and cookies and shit, and spread them through day, not all at 1 meal), jog play basketball jump rope anything just stay active, have your cable company turn off your service so you can't sit on your ass watching Tv, Incline and decline bench, squat, deadlift, push ups and sit ups do pull ups when and if you can, take a ECA stack and don't repeat DON'T have any cheat days, cheat days are for pussies and you will just fuck your diet up and start eating like shit all the time and stay fat. I've lost about 100 pounds the last 2 years and this is all i've done, i had my cable turned back on but other than that this has worked for me. oh and the ECA stack I don't do anything drastic 25/200/81
    oh and you can probably lose way more than 3 pounds a week the first month or so but after a while 3.5 pounds a week just won't happen unless you cut calories too low and then you lose muscle and your metabolism goes to hell and you get fat again like every other dieter on the planet
    I started as 6'3" 380 pounds benching 350 4 X 8
    now i'm 6'3" 285 pounds benching 350 4 X 8

nothing special about my strength but the key (for me anyway) is that I didn't lose much if any strength. My squat has actually gotten better

IMO anyway

oh and yeah i know i ain't skinny yet lol, but i am about 100 pounds closer so svck it

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  12. AKABatman

AKABatman OT Supporter

i think 3000 calories is a bit much, i'm trying to stay below 2000, and its working quite well. I'm not feeling tired and hungry all the time, so I think i'll try and stay there. When I get into the weight lifting I might need to increase, but I will probably try and stay below 3000, but thanks for the other advice.

13. AKABatman

AKABatman OT Supporter

I'm also using Fitday to keep track and plan, but I've heard its not very accurate. Anyone have any idea how inaccurate it is?

I've been inputting most of my stuff's information, but some stuff, i've just used whats in there

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

the only reason i say 3000 calories is the fact that that you don't want your metabolism to flat line on you and being 265 pounds 2500-2700 would probably be a great range for you for now. Lift weights cause muscle burns calories Much faster than fat so the more muscle the more cals you burn up even while resting (basal will increase). Cardio is a must but it only works while you do it and for an hour or so after your' done, then the metabolism drops back down to resting rate. if you keep it at 2000 cals you shouldn't screw your metabolism up i guess but if you go crazy and cut way below 2000 to lose a bunch in a couple days then your just gonna shut your system down, burn up muscle and you'll burn less and less cals a day so the lack of food will actually catch up with you and you'll gain. If you want to get healthy you need to eat a more appropriate amount of food and add more excersize, cardio and weights. crash diets can lose a bunch of weight but as soon as you eat again you'll be fat again. 1 pound per week = 3500 cals a week less than you burn (approximate of course) I shoot for that goal and it has worked like a charm, i know it's not what you're looking to do but seriously millions of people cut the hell out of their calories and just yo yo diet, so if your stuck on 2000 cals ok, just don't go any more drastic cause it'll actually backfire imo, and i'm betting most on this board would tell ya the same about drastic calorie cutting. good luck man, and keep moving and good luck, it feels good as hell to lose weight so just stick to it

15. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Nothing wrong with FitDay that I know of. I use it. I also customize a lot of stuff. Main thing is to make sure you know exactly how much of whatever it is you ate. A lot of times I'll pull the nutritional info off the product and enter it into FitDay to save myself the searching in their database.

16. AKABatman

AKABatman OT Supporter

awesome advice, thanks for all the thought in your post.

definately gonna try and incorporate all of this info, and not cut too low so as to not put the hurt on my metabolism.

Thanks again!

17. AKABatman

AKABatman OT Supporter

Awesome, I remember reading its not all that accurate, but its been pretty good for the stuff I've put in, so I'm definately sticking with it...

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.