Diet ? for hardcore physical summer job.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Buddyblazon, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddyblazon

Buddyblazon Broncos Naked Bootleg...FTW!!!!

I have an extremely physical summer job. It doesn't start for another 5 weeks or so.

I just started following a diet (the one stickied by No Quarter). And my job during the rest of the year is only semi physical. So I think the diet in that thread is probably pretty good for me during the cold months.

So...my question is...during the summer job...what changes should I make to my diet? Long hot days outdoors...lots of lifting. I naturally up my water intake to astronomical levels. I always have a bottle of water within reach. And the weight seems to shed off while eating whatever I want.

I would just like to maximize my returns this summer. Since I have this opportunity to do hours and hours of lifting..and get paid for it...I'd like to come back in the best possible shape I can.

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I would add carbs (probably 100-150g on the days you work) and fat until you get a nice cal intake. There's already enough protein in there.

3. Buddyblazon

Thanks.

4. Buddyblazon

Follow up question:

Should I be eating differently to PREPARE for this summer?

5. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

no
    only while you have the job!

6. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Maybe you'll want to drop weight in your mid section so you don't retain as much heat.

It depends on the nature of the job. If it's outside you'll want to remain as cool as possible and as hydrated as possible. If you feel like cutting will make you lose muscle that you need, then just maintain.

Either way, while you are working you should really keep your carbs up. I also believe I've read that if you do a ton of outside work in the heat during the summer you need to replenish the salt you lose through sweat, so water just won't cut it. You need something with electrolytes like gatorade (or just water with salt in it). As I understand it, you may experience cell lysis if you don't maintain healthy water/salt levels (cells explode).

Of course, someone please come and tell me to STFU if I'm wrong.

7. Buddyblazon

It's concert staging. Lots of truss...lots of stage decks...lots and lots and lots of lifting. Lots of climbing and rigging. Loading and unloading semi's.

Some of the guys who have been doing it for a while...from South Carolina...were saying on the really hot days...that a pickle (or something salty like that) midday gives you ridiculous energy. Is this BS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.