Diet for 16-17 hour days?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Jcrash, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcrash

Jcrash 93.till.infinity-ing

Hi all:

I work part time at a major shipping company (think brown) where I load the packages into trucks. It can be a pretty intensive anaerobic workout for about four hours. I go to school full time also so after work that's when my diet falls apart. I pack about 4 meals into a cooler for the day and I can't help but finish it around...noon-1pm. After that I end up at Subway or a taqueria. Here's my schedule:

I get up at 3am, start work at 4, get off around 8-830. During break I have a piece of fruit and a granola bar. After work I squeeze in a small meal (usually pasta/rice and a piece of chicken) before I take a shower and head to class. After that its classes, study time, power naps, drive home, get ready for the next day, tlc to fiance, and rinse and repeat.

What I wanna know is, should I be doubling the amount of carbs? What can I do about mental fatigue? Is it bad if I don't have a diverse diet?

My meals last year (before I had this job):

$20 salmon from costco baked/microwaved with lemon/salt/margarine. This literally takes 4 minutes to make. Good for about 10 servings. Lipton sidekicks (99cents) with margarine, skim milk, good for about 4 servings each pack. I ate about 2 servings from these. Only supplements I used were fish oil, whey, and b12 with good results.

I've lost a considerable amount of mass in my legs though, almost kinda wiry emoish. I plan on getting back into lifting once I get my workout routine set and even then, I'm gonna need more food. :drool:

2. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

eat better/ more often

3. smb is me

smb is me New Member

pack more food :dunno:

Seriously, co-workers make no distinction b/w:

The dude who brings healthy food to work.

-and-

The dude who brings even more healthy food to work.

4. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

I thought about doing that same shit for UPS since they cover tuition and the benefits are good but I just couldn't deal with the hours.

Shit would totally ruin my day.

5. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

they have like 4-5 shifts and are pretty flexible about them

6. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

only ones they were hiring for here were 4-8:30 am/pm

7. brettD

brettD New Member

yea i would think that they let the people that have been working the shit shift move up to more normal hours :shrug:

8. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Loading? Pssh.

Try your hands at unloading!

9. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

bring more food to eat. white rice and chicken doesnt taste that bad cold. suck it up.

10. ralyks

ralyks New Member

+1 on the rice
    Cheap and easy to eat.

11. Jcrash

Jcrash 93.till.infinity-ing

Loaders get paid a little more. ;) I think I would fall asleep in unload, at least with loading you need some attention to detail (which truck you're in, playing tetris with the boxes). Not to mention we start 10 minutes later (takes me 35-40 minutes to get to work).

There's only 2 part time shifts. Morning and twilight.

So far I have 1 shaker bottle (2 shake servings prepared at home), 1 blender bottle (for just whey and water), 1 gallon jug of water refilled every 2 days, and a medium cooler. I was doing 3 meals and 2 snacks, but I'll try 5 meals this week. Goddamn.

I don't have a problem eating things cold. Forgot to add I buy those 25-30 packs of boneless raw chicken breasts at Costco and eat it with brown rice. Been mixing this asian spicy oil i found at Walmart so freakin addicting.

Any other cheap, quick meal ideas?

12. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

to save room, i pack multiple meals in in container.

so, two meals worth of rice and meal. Only east half.

I R smrt

13. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

quick cheap ideas.

shakes
    throw like 10 g of cashews or more if you want more fat 1 cup of egg whites, splenda, a scoop of protein powder, ice, and some oatmeal. blend up and store in a fridge or sip during workout. great source of carbs amino acids and fat

beans and rice with chicken and franks red hot
    tuna sandwhiches
    protein bars
    beef/turkey jerkey
    cook up a bunch of lean burger patties and much on them wit some bread you bring from home or rice
    lots of ways to do it. especially if you can get by without eating gourmet shit.
    nuts are calorically dense to snack on too and have good fat and a little protein
    beans have a ton of protein and carbs 1:2 ratio so like 35g of protein and 70 carbs per can

14. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

As a UPSer for 7 years now, I can say that loading a trailer is way more difficult than unloading one. Both are harder than loading a package car though. I work my part time job from 10a-3p, then go to UPS and work from 5:30p-2:30a. Between the lack of sleep, screwed up schedule, having to make time for the house and wife and working out, it is no easy task. I pack lunch/snacks whenever I go to work and try to eat as healthy as possible (though sometimes I fail when I run out of food as well).

Getting rid of mental fatigue? Sleeping more is really the best solution to that - at least for me - even though it's not really feasible in your situation. And as mentioned before, if you're running out of food, pack more and get a bigger lunch box/cooler if you run out of room. Worried about looking strange? It's either stick to your goals or not. It's up to you, even though it might not be easy.

15. Daisypicker5

Daisypicker5 New Member

Eat more healthy food

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Seriously, since when is getting a lot of calories in hard? Eat some cookies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.