Diet and evolution

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Genghis.Tron, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Here's a part of an article, I'll add other stuff and comments as time goes and I'll try to answer questions.

The 'carnivore connection'--evolutionary aspects of insulin resistance.
    Colagiuri S, Brand Miller J.

Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia. [email protected]

2. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Interesting article. Looking at the types of foods so readily available these days and the fact that the cheapest food out there is the absolute worst its no surprise that obesity and diabetes is become a huge huge issue. Mind posting the rest of it?

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Nothing I already didn't know, but definitely reaffirms the fact that people need to focus more on low-carb/high-protein diets and really be aware of the types of carbs they consume. It's interesting to read that humans during the ice age lived rather well on only 10-125g's of carbs. Not really surprising though because once you get past the initial "crappy feelings" from the first couple weeks of low carb, you feel much better on a daily basis with the lower carb intakes.

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I think there's something to note though : the apparition of agriculture in some cultures a long time ago took off the selective pressure on the alleles that were responsible for insulin resistance. Basically, what it means is that if someone has an ethnic background in which agriculture was not recent (let's say in the last 500 years), you can probably go over the 125 g of carbs but it's still trial and error.

That means that people who have an ethnic background in which agriculture or carbs are recent (Aborigens, many Asians, etc), you should probable avoid carbs. The prevalence of diabetes in Aborigens and American Indians is incredibly high when compared to Europeans.

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I didn't put the first part has it talked about diabetes just like any other article but I can post it if you really want...

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

My potato devouring ancestors probably were okay then? :x:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.