Diesel truck time. Powerstroke or Duramax?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by imsobored, Jan 6, 2007.

1. imsobored

imsobored New Member

Which would you get and why? It will be my daily driver for the most part. Looking at crew cab short beds 4x4. Do I need a diesel? NO. I just want one since i could always use a truck to haul misc crap and tow once and a while

2. dubrocker

dubrocker sho nuff

duramax ftw. better economy and transmission. if the allison os applicable, go for it.

3. mw818

mw818 New Member

duramax, definitely, allison is the best trany you can get. i love my allison 6 speed, most amazing trany ever , great mileage while towing never had a single problem

4. Zerobar78

Zerobar78 New Member

Duramax's are also a much quieter engine than the powerstroker and the allison is bulletproof.

5. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

6. imsobored

imsobored New Member

anybody driven/owned both?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, the duramax kills the powerstroke, imo. The allison kills the torqshift, imo.

Consider that Ford is ditching the 6.0L powerstroke after only a few years. Duramax is still the motor in the new soon-to-be-released GMC HD

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, I've driven both. The GMC kills the ford, imo. The only thing the Ford has going for it is okay exterior styling (looks horrible, in the 2008 re-design, imo) and the solid front axel. Otherwise, the GMC>Ford in every other way.

The Dodge is crap. The Cummins is the best part of that truck, but still complaints about that motor. The transmission is CRAP. Overall Dodge build quality is horrible. Dodge warranty is also worst on the market.

9. Chris90210

Chris90210 New Member

In 2000 my dad bought the F250 Powerstroke (7.3L) He uses it daily for pulling trailers and other construction materials. I drove it just the other day at ~200K and it felt just like it was brand new. If you plan on buying new do not buy the new powerstroke. The new engine does not have the quality the older powerstrokes have had and they are starting to become a lemon. If you buy older buy the ford but if you buy new get the Dodge or Chevy.

10. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

duramax + allison = teh win

i borrowed one from my buddy to tow about 10 grand with it over some nasty roads (steep both up and down, and curvey). i wont tow with anything else. downhill is where the allison shines, compression breaking FTW.

11. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Duramax.

12. mw818

mw818 New Member

i used to own a 7.3 excursion loud as hell and had tranny problems in late miles

had my allison6speed/duramax for over a year now, NO problems at all.

also just to note: not sure about on power strokes but on duramaxes you dont get great fuel economy until around 100k miles

diesel ftw

btw, if youre getting a duramax LB7's are loud but sound SICK

the newer engines are a little less quiet and will not get as loud as an lb7 with exhaust

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the 6.0 powerstrokes are having a hard time making it to 100k in the first place... that's why ford replaced em for 2008 :mamoru:

14. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Where is this data from? 2002-2004 I've heard plenty of problems but after that they have seemed to have fixed a good bit of problems.

Just wondering where this info is from.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

take a look at the recalls to see all the probs. And the fact they're completely ditching the motor for 2008 is pretty decent evidence that it wasn't successful for them. Whether that is due to tarnished reputation that Ford feels it would be overly difficult to overcome, or actual technical challenges is a matter for conjecture. But I think the overall impression of the motor is definitely negative.

16. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

And this adds up to trucks not making 100K?

Why do I see a pattern here. Making a statement but yet to back it up........just throw out other new statements with nothing backing them.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

quick google search turned up many reports. One said over 500 f-250/350 diesels bought-back under lemon-law in 5 mos. Ouch. bad fuel injectors. THREE mandated ecu re-flashes just to fix FATAL problems. Not "hey we made a fix that helps a little" but actually "we need to do this or your engine may sieze".

gotta love this quote "The engines are reportedly suffering from defective fuel injectors which suffer from side loading which then causes raw fuel to flood and enter the engine's oil crankcase or hydro-lock the engine. Both occurences are so disastrous that a total engine replacement is often required."

And we're talking problems right away... 100k is a stretch for these vehicles...

especially since the life expectancy of the TorqShift tranny is about 75k and "may have a low gear set pinion shaft(s) that may walk out causing metallic particle contamination which can lead to transmission failure."

Some interesting facts:

Ford's warranty cost went up $500 million in the first half of 2005. Considering F-Series is their biggest seller, I think that had a big part in the cost.

Ford has had over 80 TSBs released on the super-dutys. Well above industry average. GM has only 8 for it's 3/4-1ton diesel trucks.

JD Power dependability study rates 6.0 Powerstrokes as having 430% more problems when compared to the industry average. The GM Duramax rates at -29%, meaning it rated better than industry average.

JD Power also rated total cost of ownership, and the 6.0L was the ONLY diesel motor tested not saving owners any money during course of ownership compared to conventional gasoline engines.

Ford issued a recall of 260,000 6.0L MY05 trucks for problems with engine stalling. An additional 80,000 6.0L MY05 trucks were recalled for defective fuel lines that detach at the fuel rail and can cause fire.

Ford has retired the slogan "Ford: Quality is Job #1" and replaced it with "Ford: Built For the Road Ahead"... That's an interesting marketing approach!

With all of the problems these diesles are having, why do only 20% of Ford dealerships have a certified diesel technician on staff?

NHTSA lists the top culprits for lemon complaints. The Ford Excursion with 6.0L diesel ranks 2nd for MY05, beaten only by the Kia Sportage.

Do you want me to find more?

18. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Still didn't list years. Still don't see anything saying they have a problem reaching 100K. I just see where you listed TSB's and recalls.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, JD specifically rated Model year 2005 vehicles. NHTSA also specifically rated 2005 vehicles. I think requiring a new motor within warranty period (36k miles) definitely qualifies as UNDER 100k!!!

the TSBs and recalls are spread out from 2003 till 2006. Two of the bigger recalls (260,000 units and 80,000 units, respectively) were performed on 2005-2006 model year vehicles.

Sounds like a bad choice for a vehicle, to me. Especially when GM ranks so highly on the same comparisons!

How much more "proof" do you need? You love to say I don't provide evidence, yet I have given you lots! And it's some of the best kind -- from the manufacturer! (which you spend so much time defending in your other posts :mamoru:) So if I've got independent 3rd parties saying the vehicle is shit, and the manufacturer is even releasing memos saying "sorry, we fucked up again", and then they give press releases saying they're completly ditching the motor, and then they change their slogan, as well... What more do you want???

20. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

:rofl:

Sorry for the lack of response but just give me time to laugh.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

because you have no intelligent response to my demonstration of evidence?

22. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

No because you make me laugh. I see tons of crap being spewed by you and I question you on it...........what happens you get your panties in a wad.

Sorry just enjoying myself and watching the time get closer till I get out of here.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, so far I've provided evidence and you've provided nothing... But hey, I don't expect much from you, anyway. feel free to take your trolling elsewhere, however.

24. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

Free to prove what? What am I trying to prove. :rofl:

I asked for evidence of your statement that Powerstroke motors were not lasting 100K.

Ohhhh some people............at least they kill time.

25. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

Old Powerstroke or new Duramax for sure. I am partial to Ford though. :o
    I know the local ford diesel tech and he says the newer Powerstrokes are complete crap. Yet the International variant is a flawless engine.
    Guys around here are buying older super duties and restoring them for less than a new truck that is 10x as reliable.
    The new twin turbos are going to be an even bigger headache with all the emissions crap on them. Exhaust filters, higher exhaust temps etc. I guess you have to pull the front end and cab for full access/removal of the engine too.

The Ford slogan change is interesting. I never noticed that before.

The Duramax doesn't need any more praising in here. GM did a good job with it. :cool: