GUN didn't someone make a post about... (scopes)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jehan60188, Jun 28, 2009.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

iirc, someone made a topic about their scope being way way off to one side. they adjusted, and adjusted, but it wasn't enough

what was the final solution for that? (and yes, i ask because my scope is doing the same thing)

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What kind of rifle/scope?

3. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

i don't remember what the equipment in the other topic was, but mine is a Ruger 10/22, and a Nikon Prostaff
    the nice people at Academy mounted it for me, but they had trouble bore sighting it (something about the thingy they shoved up the barrel not working right)

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Oh jesus. PROTIP: DO NOT ever let a minimum wage monkey at a place like academy attempt to mount/boresight your optics for you. Seriously, this is something you need to learn how to do yourself.

Check it: Rugers are notorious for have a fucked up casting finish at a spot where "straightness" is often very important; the top of the receiver. Now, given that the monkeys didn't fuck up your scope by torquing the shit out of it in mal-aligned rings (which is entirely possible), you need a way to accomondate for possible maladies from the factory.

Several options exist. First, is to use rings/bases that have some sort of gross "windage" adjustment built in. Luepold style bases with a dovetail front and adjustable back can do this. They are dogshit IMO, and the knockoffs (Millet, Burris, etc) are even worse. Buriss Signatue ZEE rings with the plastic posi-align inserts can do this. They are the shit. Lastly, are two ways that require getting dirty. The first is one of my favorites, and that is bedding the base(s) to the receiver proper using some sort of epoxy compound (I like Steelbed, but have seen Marine-tex, AccraGlass and even JBWeld used here), which "fills" in the inconsistancies, giving you a stress free (and straight) mounting platform. The other requires busting out some tools and literally grinding that shit straight.

Bang for the buck/time is the Buriss signature rings. They are likely a little more expensive than the rings you bought, but chalk it up to a learning experience and the importance of knowing what to do, and how to do it. These rings come with plastic inserts of various sizes which allows you to basically shim the scope into correct placement. They are genious, and probably the coolest thing to come in optics mounting since the Picatinny setups.

So in short, the Burris (seriously, don't cheap out here and go w/ a Leupold setup, you will regret it later) is a good dirty hack. If you are wanting more than a bandaid (or the Burris rings don't provide enough adjustment for the fuckup), then bedding is your best option.

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I believe the thread you were talking about was about AK sights, not a scope

6. reman

reman New Member

Werd about the Zee rings. They need beefier style Zee rings for tacticoolness

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

It kinda kills me that Burris can do that and charge $30 or so and make money, but half the tacti-cool ring makers bitch about not making enough charging $200 for standard 2 bolt designs.

I wonder if Burris has that patented......

8. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

thanks for the tips everyone, i think I'll take it to the proshop at a gun range nearby, and see what they can do
    if all else fails, I suppose i'll be rocking the iron sights (which is a pretty cool thing to say out loud)

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Dude..... read my post again. Buy the Burris rings..... fix it yourself.

This isn't hard.

10. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

oops, I didn't think about the difference between "dogshit" and "the shit" and assumed you meant that burris signature rings were bad

it confused me when you went on to recommend them. I'll give the Buriss signature rings a try, and hopefully that'll get me on target!

:x:

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Make sure you get them with the different size inserts. Some places bilk you and sell them with only the 0 inserts. You will need different sizes to play around with.

12. sprite

sprite Active Member

Burris Signature double dovetails on my .308 and they are rock solid.

Keep in mind you may need to buy a pack of inserts too... depending on how far off you are. I forget which inserts they send with the rings...

13. sprite

sprite Active Member

Doh, beat by phrozen

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

No, you specified something that I forgot....

Windage adjustable bases are dogshit. DO NOT buy them. Those were the leupold style bases I was talking about. MAKE SURE you are getting the dual dovetail rings and bases.

15. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Yeah I made a thread about my AK a while back, turned out to be a canted FSB. 8 months later I buy an AR upper from Stag and the FSB is canted but it took me 50 rounds to figure it out. :o

16. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

thanks for the tips everyone, I'm on target now!
    (now if only I can get on target while NOT using sandbags)