GUN Didn't see any mention of the new hotness: Mk318 Mod 0?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChipOnShoulder, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I love declassified NSWC-Crane presentations... they are always so interesting.

Nothing that this link started getting kicked about around 3 weeks back, no mention of it on WMD so far.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2009infantrysmallarms/tuesdaysessioniii8524.pdf

What was the lead time between Mk-262 being publicy announced, and civilians finally getting the components and cosmetic rejects from Black Hills?

Mk 262 is sooooo 2007... Mk 318 is what the mall ninjas will have wet dreams about now

:mamoru:

2. ChipOnShoulder

NOPE!

The Barnex 70 gr TSX is already available loaded up from SSA and Cor-Bon i believe. That round never really interested me, seemed to be mostly for CQB ultra short rifles.

This looks to be a round similiar to LEO bonded rifle rounds. Developed in conjuction with the SCAR. Mk 318 is for the Mk 16 standard SCAR, Mk 319 is for the Mk 17 SCAR-H

3. It looks to have a lead section near the tip, and be all copper near the base.

4. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I've been diggin the brown tip lately

5. ChipOnShoulder

You got a supply of the real deal?

I didn't think that the brown tip even has a designation yet.

Looks like Mk262 was first fielded in late 2001 according the above presentation. I didn't think Mk262 seconds were available for a few years afterwards, didn't get into black rifles until 2006.

Anyone care to comment or guess when we'd even get our hands on Mk 318 seconds, or even projectiles?

6. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I got some from BH and I have been loading the Barnes TSX with some good data

I don't think it has a designation which is why I just call it brown tip

Putting it out of my 10.5" bbl I am pretty sure it would make anybody within about 350m's day exceptionally bad

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

So it's basically a 175gr. GMM?

8. Keep reading. What Chip's talking about is the 5.56 load. The 175gr .308 is the load that's talked about first on that link, but they talk about the 5.56 after that.

9. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

oops. :o

10. ChipOnShoulder

I remember Dr. Gary Roberts, aka, DocKGR had mentioned the USMC had evaluated barrier blind loads in his 2008 presentation and how effective the round was.

Looks like the Mk 318 is almost the exact same thing. Looks like this round is mostly off of LEO use bonded projectiles. I'm almost positive there is probably a close civilian equivalent out there already, but I'm not much of a projectile man. I've loaded thousands of rounds, sure, but most were 55 gr FMJ-BT, or 77 gr SMK. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to feeding my rifles, haha

Robert's 2008 presentation for reference:

www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf