SRS Didn't know where to put this (school work, stress, depression LONG)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anaconda', Jan 26, 2006.

1. Anaconda'

Anaconda' New Member

Didnt know whether or not to put this under the OT Tutor forum or this forum but this involves elements from both. First off it's with my future. I've always wanted to get into business and doing some sort of executive work, administration or management of the sorts. So I decided to go to community college to study business with dreams of graduating from a major university.

Took introduction to business and principles of management and aced them both about 5-6 years ago hell I can't remember. But of course theres an entrance exam for the school and if you don't pass one of the three portions of the test you have to take developmental courses. Failed the math portion of course and have always had problems with math ever since middle and high school I just could not learn it at all and cheated most of my way thru it. Yes i'm sure that must be a contributing factor to my mental disarray of not being able to learn it. Passed elementary algebra the same way I did middle school but learned some of it a tiny bit but I tried to learn everything but just could not compute it.

Went on to intermediate algebra years ago and went to tutoring everyday to try and learn it. It sort of computed a litle bit but on quizes and tests I always bombed cause I had no notes to look at. That is another thing that I couldn't do. I needed notes to be able to set up and solve problems to remember how to do them. I was lost without my notes and tried to do problems without notes and failed. Went to tutoring everyday as I said again private lessons before class to try and learn it and still failed the course. I was frustrated and signed up for the test preparation courses for the entry exam. Failed those.

Went to intermediate algebra again twice one per semester and failed those two miserably. I was upset and ended up quitting college. Only until recently is when I decided to try and go to school again of course intermediate algebra was right there to get in my way and meet me for I could not take any other college courses without it. I'm taking Japanese I now too. Decided to go with the same teacher I went with for elementary algebra in which I had passed somehow. I thought I would think positive and not let math defeat me again. Pretest was handed out and I lost all memory on how to do slope and y-intercept. He have pages from the book to go over as homework to learn and some of the stuff was familiar and I kind of had the hang of it. But only very very minimal. I looked at examples of problems to try and solve them by looking at the examples. I tried on my own and succeeded a little from time to time. Got caught up on greatest commonfactor and when to divide and when to subtract variables and all that. Homework was crammed on me like insanely. The teacher said I could either go back down to elementtary or stay in his class. It's been about 3 years since ive taken algebra so I decided i'll continue the class and take my chances into getting a C. Boy was I wrong. So far my study habits are bad I know that might be a contributing factor but I can't study something I can't do. I just don't get it. I try to go to tutoring but it seems like I don't want to hog the tutors too much cause I need help with all of my homework.

I don't want to step down to elementary because theres a chance i'll fail that too. A pretty high chance at that as sad as that sounds. Now I have homework and perhaps a quize which are unannounced to come soon. I'm going to try to go to tutoring as much as I can but I just cant grasp it and whenI cant grasp something I get really frustrated and angry. I mean I get all down emotionally cause I can't do something. I don't even know what I want to do with my life anyway.

Japanese i'm doing fair believe it or not. I can remember hiragana, vocab words and sentence structures a bit. But i'm just wondering how I can do fairly well in a language i've never taken and horrible at something that has been taught to me all my school time?

Also its a thing with tests and quizzes as i've said before. I get anxiety around tests and quizzes and when I cant solve something I get frustrated and start to squirm. Of course my anger is only directed toward the problem. I get mad cause I feel like i'm a failure and I can't do the problems or cant remember how to do them. I look at higher business type people and people who can do it and get mad cause I can't make something of myself when it comes to math. Computers yes I can do that and understand hardware html and all that jazz but math? Can't. I dont know what degree to go with anymore I dont know what to do. I do like video games and decided to enroll in some classes one which I had passed and another i'm taking now called Business of Games which I think I can succeed in it.

Does anyone else in the world have a major problem with math? Or is it just that i'm that stupid? >.<

2. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

That's inspiring you never gave up. I like to believe in "you can do anything you put your mind to" but I guess sometimes it can be untrue. You tried multiple times and honestly I don't see a point in trying to do it again. You probably can find some careers that you'll be interested in that you don't need to be good in math for. You might have some sort of learning disability for math but who knows. I say you just forget about it and embark on something you don't need too much math for. Good luck and props for never giving up on it.:)

3. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Hey man, I have almost the same problems. I try to go through my math homework and I completely forgot everything. I'm taking a business calc course right now and I just bombed the last exam because I couldn't do simple pre-calc stuff. I failed my last algebra class but that was mainly due to me being lazy.

But after reading your post, I feel horrible. I mean, I didn't even try and I thought I was having a hard time. I'll look for some tutors to help me, you may be having a hard time but I suggest to never quit. Just don't look back on your life and say "Damn, what if I just went a semester more or studied a bit more..." cause I really don't want to do that and I see you trying so hard helped me realize this also.

Thanks man and sorry if I can't offer more help.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

your not a failure, your just not a mathematical logical person. Therefore any logical course with mathematical skills required will be very hard on you, while your creative side can give much stronger and better results. Your not alone , most people don't have strong math skills and depression can sink in when you have to aknowledge that you do not have what it takes in terms of commitment and skills to overcome these problems.

My advice is to commit yourself to a mathematical logical lyfestyle and do anything in order to beat this weakness that you have in this skill along with your bad study habits, this way you will actually get stronger by rowing against the currents and advancing in math.

5. Anaconda'

Anaconda' New Member

I admit my study habits are a little off plus juggling Japanese I and nearly 40hrs of work a week it takes its toll on me and numbers have never been anything I could comprehend for some reason. The last section of the chapters I looked over recently I didn't study hard enough which was over functions.

I was given three problems and I tried to work out some of the problems but couldnt figure them out for some reason even with notes and the book itself. I think I got a 15 on it but that was partially my fault I also had to study for a quiz for Japanese I the day before so all weekend was committed to studying for Japanese I which I did get an 80 in and could have gotten higher if the teacher didn't write some of the hiragana in a strange way. >.<

But right now my current mood is messed up. I'm angry at myself for not being able to commit myself to studying algebra as much as I should. But even then the thought looms as to when I studied algebra on the same level everyday in private tutoring with my teacher just before the class. I could not grasp or remember it to save my life. Took tests and bombed.

I don't really want to give up but I feel mad and sad and the urge to quit does linger from time to time like right now i'm in a very frustrated mood with myself as to why I just can't learn it even when studying. I know it's just numbers and it seems like the dreams of entering business school are fading and it makes me even more mad and angry.

The anger and frustration might not be helping but when you've tried over and over and over and failed entry level exam preperation courses for math twice and intermediate algebra 3 times it hurts bad. I'm getting older and getting into classes with kids who are learning this stuff faster than I can and it also upsets me.

On the other hand Japanese is coming in breeze but again it could be the commitment to studying I have with t his particular subject. I'd really like to go thru this course (math) to see what is expected of me then take it again in the summer or take a break in the summer and go over the book thoroughly and get tutored and take it on again in the following semester.

It just makes me feel real bad. Sometimes I get all emotional like I can't do anything and my future is passing me by due to my age and it's going to be over for me just because of this stupid course. Also I'll need college algebra too so yea...hmm. I just don't know what to do sometimes. I'm glad to have gotten feedback and to see that some people out there aren't keen to algebra skills as am I.