GUN Did we run off AB13?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, May 28, 2009.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

Haven't seen any updates from the Texas shoot. :dunno:

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I figured he was busy between his family and new work, he's popped on a few times lately.

3. Camp OTE

Camp OTE New Member

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Last I heard from him he quit his ballin' Microsoft job, was working in "import/export", and did fairly decent at Space City. I'm still waiting to hear back from him on an arrangement we were working on regarding him bringing me a container of guns, drugs, and hookers.

Dudes prolly just busy. Besides working, he also has a family and runs a IDPA club. That's a fair amount on anyone's plate.

5. texchef

texchef Guest

I remember him sayin something about being super busy. I was hoping the whole new moderator thing didn't run off one of our many well springs of knowledge.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Been pretty busy lately and April brought a host of changes that came up a lot faster than expected. I left Microsoft to take ownership of our family Import business. My mother has run it for the last 27 years and is "old school" so I've been busy refreshing the place with plenty to do. I did not have internet access hooked up till a few weeks ago.

Just haven't had much to talk. Don't care to get into the local pissing matches nor beat any dead horses so I've kept my presence on here as a lurker. I ask myself "is it worth it", 9/10 it's "no".

As for Texas, the important thing was, I didn't win my division, so it doesn't matter to me what I placed after that but I did decent.

They had a flash flood/storm during my match. Myself, along with 30 other shooters took refuge in a metal shack. And the mood went from entertaining, to scary in a matter of half an hour. The range was suddenly under water, and our only exit/entrance was completely submerged which hid the huge "ditches" on the side. It ate a few cars. Well, I was running back to my car. Imagine me running balls out through a storm with all of my gear on. Holster, gun, recording equipment. Onlookers from the shack marveled at my bravery, when no further than 30 feet I found one of their big ditches. I found myself chest high in water. As I return to the shack most people were in shock. I broke the shock by busting up laughing my ass off.

The next day, I was dubbed Ari "the swimmer". Word spreads fast in the shooting community. When they called my name after the match for results they even called me "flipper". I lol'd.

Anyhow, I met a bunch of great folks up there. Some folks that have followed my youtube videos, and posts from the other forums I post on. It was a trip meeting so many people I "knew", I felt like I was at my home range. "hey, you're that feller from youtube!" I also got to shoot with the rest of the Rudy Project Squad members.

Texas has some of the nicest folks around. I had my meal paid for twice and was offered room and board for my next trip back.

Things I learned:

- I now know what a true rain storm is.
    - Where that ditch is at the RPS range in Friendswood.
    - If you are driving 70mph on I-45, better be in the slow lane.
    - What "real" BBQ is.

would hit, again.

Already making my plans for next year to include Double Tap and the Texas State Open.

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

It's a trip. This rat has finally found the end of the maze. After doing 14 years running this race, I'm spent. My job now is much more rewarding, and I'm my own boss.

I'm looking into getting into shooting accessories, firearms and doing some training for competitive shooting along with run the Import business. When I met up with my team captain, he explained wanting to expand his training to include instructors in my area and asked if I was interested. We'll see how that goes, it's extra cash anyhow.

8. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Wow, glad to hear everything is going well for you.

Curiosity compels me to ask, what kind of stuff does your family business import? If you need a bilingual mandarin/english speaker, I have a CV polished and ready to go :mamoru:

Ironically enough, i've been trying to get into MSFT. Not really sure where they hire peons though, 95% of their job postings are for managers. :o

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

We import home furniture, clothing, jewelry and handcrafted carvings from the Philippines primarily. Just about everything and anything. My shop is on 1st and Pike in Downtown Seattle, so we stay pretty busy around this time of year.

If you want to get into MS, you have to know someone, that is someone. Otherwise try you luck at one of the hundreds of MS contracting agencies. I was a Program Manager for the PD/Community support.

I hope you don't have much of a life outside of work, and know how to cover your ass.