did no one else anywhere ever notice..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Aug 6, 2008.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

that 8gb of ram costs like 150 quid - maybe 200 us dollars or less?

i was considering buying a wee ssd at some point for an OS partition, but fuck, i could just get fuckload of ram either. access times would be immense.

i could copy my os partition to a ramfs. i know operating systems currently have some way to fill ram so that disk access will be reduced but would it think to fill ram with the apps i run, before i run them?

i currently have like 384mb ram :rofl:

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i noticed that literally everything is relatively cheap now... cpu's, ram, hdd's, vid cards...

you don't need 2-3k to build a kick ass gaming system. excluding crysis, a 1k machine, like mine, can pretty much run all current games at high res, high effects.

this wasn't the case a couple years ago.

only thing that is still pricey are good 24"+ monitors. good non-tn monitors are stlll 500-1k.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, how are all these prices going down if the dollar is weak and fuel is expensive? I'm feeling like I've got wool over my eyes.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

after the rebate, I got 4gb of ocz platinum ddr2 8500 for $50, it's was a crazy deal.

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Yeah.

my question is really, can an OS use an extra 4gb of ram to make things much snappier? Like as if everything is on an ssd, but it's not: 6 or 7 strategic gb is on ram?

Can you get 4gb single-sticks of ddr2 yet?

edit:
    newegg doesnt work in europe :'(

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Newegg doesn't work in Canada either, yet. It was from NCIX.

Either way, are you running a 64bit OS?

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

nooooooo.

my computer is old and crap. ive been thinking about upgrading but mostly now im just looking at how much better things could be if i wait about a year, or two, or three. so basically, im thought experimenting.

right enough I would need to be running a 64bit OS with >4gb ram. Intel's quads (Q6600 et friends) can do this I'm sure. Are they actually 64bit, or just about?

im not sure if extra gigs would do me much good though, that's what im wondering. It depends on how my OS and my software is designed I suppose.

Future start-menus [application launchers] should pre-load apps into spare ram. That would be so so sweet, but it wouldn't work nowadays huh?

8. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

you need a 64bit OS like XP Pro 64bit or Vista 64bit to take advantage of more than 4GB of ram, and even then, you need to be doing something out of the ordinary to make use of more than 4GB. I have 4 in my vista ultimate 64 system, but only because it was cheap. At most, my memory usage is 50%, and that's when a game like COD4 or crysis is taking up 600+mb of ram.
    I'm pretty sure that Intel has had support for 64bit OS's for the last 3 or so years, so yes, the Q6xxx and Q9xxx series will all work with 64 bit windows or linux.

9. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

You could make a ram disk with some of it

10. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

That's what I was thinking would be the best idea, currently. OS & applications filesystem could fit in ram, and most-used data. But this isn't easy to determine sometimes.

What we really need is for applications to eat as much available ram as they can whenever it's available, so 8Gb of ram and 16Gb of ram would find something to do and make the system outrageous snappy. :hsd:

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so, the ram disk allows you to go beyond 4Gb? i never really thought about it, bit i figured it would also be stuck within the confines of the 4Gb limit since the OS is, but i guess it doesn't have to be.

12. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

You would still need a 64bit OS, because the RAM still has to be mapped. But you would use, say, 4gb of the 8 as a ram disk.

As for fitting the OS and most used apps in the ram drive, it's volatile, remember? It gets erased every time you turn off the computer (Well, technically, every time you start it - the government and some corporations use RAM drives to work on decrypted versions of encrypted data, and there was a big fuss recently about how someone could take the RAM, and freeze it on startup, so the data would stay in there). Make putting the entire OS on there pretty hard

13. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

initrd?
    I think that would work. :hsd:

May need some fucking around. Initrd images mightn't be persistent. If they are 4 or 8Gb it might take a while to get them into ram making the boot process.. well not much longer than that while.

Actually if I recall this surely works. A pretty-typical initrd on Linux can be used to mount a ramfs and boot from that. I'm unsure if ramfs can sync back to the disk/image.

Anyhow I'm really just theorizing.

Most people would not notice a diff between 4Gb and 8Gb, but apps and the OS could use it to make things SO DAMN SNAPPY! But RAM is so damn cheap, we should adjust accordingly!

But we still have mother-fuckers complaining about Firefox using 100Mb of RAM from time-to-time :rofl: