GUN did my first step toward handloading.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 70Machwon, Feb 8, 2006.

1. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

I bought a Lee aniversary kit w/ master reloading manual thing that comes with it.:bigthumb:.

I also got a dial caliper, and a nosler book as well to start off. When the gun show comes to teh cow palace next weekend im going to try and find dies and a lee case trimmer for a lower price.

But im excited, the stuff should be here next week around wed. WOO HOO, i got some reading to do.

and thanks to everyone here with all the suggestions. I am a member on Accuratereloading =.com (P.T. is my display name) But i will definatly be asking questions here.

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

what caliber?

3. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

.35 rem. Then eventually 30-06, 7mm (for my friend, but only after im comfortable with teh process) and possible .357 revolver ammo.

4. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Good choice, the Nosler manual is by far the most interesting and well written manual around, I still thumb through mine about once a week just looking at random things. Since you bought the manual, do you plan on shooting Partitions in your .35?

and if you want a cheap case trimmer, just buy one of the lee caliber specific models. They're only about $5 per caliber, plus the one time purchase $5 cutter, so it's alot cheaper than buying a $50 universal model if you don't plan on reloading alot of calibers.

And if you really have questions, I'd ask on AR first, there's a frightening amount of experience over there :o

5. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

OH i know AR is great. They are just a bit slow to respond. And i will be getting the Lee trimmer if this guy at work doesnt have a hookup with something that may be better.

Sorry, but what do you mean by Partitions?

6. Goat

Partitions are a Nosler bullet, and it's the only .35 they make that suitable for use in a tube magazine, like your lever gun has. I just asked because you bought the Nosler manual :o Great bullet though.

7. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

haha, i havnt got the manual yet, its being shipped with teh other stuff. Most likely i will give the Partitions a try. I have heard NOTHING but good things about nosler, and the gun guru and local handloader (since he was around 18) recommends them, along with AR, so I got the manual.

8. Goat

It didn't occur to me that you don't have the manual yet. :rofl:

but yeah, Nosler makes great bullets, Partitions are fucking pricey though, I'm considering switching to something cheaper once I use all mine up :o

9. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

yea, i have some shopping to do for sure. I need to assemble all my stuff and read up, then start buying powders and bullets.

How did you like the partitions, and what gun did you shoot them out of.

10. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

I need to get a custom one from Lee too. They dont regularly stock the .35 rem to my suprise. At least it wasnt on Midway.

11. Goat

For deer I use 100grn. .243 Partitions out of my A-Bolt, I like them so far. This year is the first year I've actually had the chance to hunt with them, and I killed a 6 point with two shots, first shot wasn't that great (100% my fault) and broke the shoulder, second went through the neck/spine and dropped it. They group well too, I can put 3 shoots in under and inch, which is good enough to hit the 6-8" vitals on a deer. I'm sure I could get them to shoot better if I tried, but like I said, they're fairly expensive and I'm lazy. :o

I've had great luck with the 70grn. .243 Nosler Ballistic tips too, so far they're very accurate, especially considering how slow the twist is in my rifle.

12. Goat

It's listed on Lee's website, so you're in luck, a custom one runs about $20.

13. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

sweet. Thanks, im going to teh SF (though not in SF) gun show here next week and i want to see what is there.

What dies do you recommend. I have heard RCBS, and one more manufacturer that starts with an R.

14. Goat

I use Redding Dies, I prefer the adjustment on them to RCBS or Lee, but there's really nothing wrong with any of them.

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:bigthumb: don't think the kit comes with a puller thats something else to look into getting, can gettem pretty cheap, maybe also upgrade the scale.

16. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Very cool. Soon enough ill be able to post my results. I need to work on my grouping period, but .35 isnt too uncommen here, but it is kinda uncommen and expensive. So i cant wait load. Patience is a must though, that much ive learned extensivly around here.

17. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

i remember you mentioning the puller, got a link to one?

Also what scale, at a decent price, do you recommend.

18. Goat

Good thinking, I've had to pull quite a few differents loads, but thankfully I've only had to pull one single round due to a fuck up. :hs:

I love my Hornady Cam-Lock, 10x easier to use and doesn't deform the tips like my damn kinetic one. Only downside is that you have to buy caliber specific collets.

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No experience with this particular one but its cheap, and kinetic ones all work the same way.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...te=various&rid=7510101020603&_requestid=78476

I'll let somone else answer the scale the question, I got a couple cheapy ones and a more expensive electronic one, I'm not upto date on the newer lower costing scales as far as whats good. :dunno:

20. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

ok got it. Ill add those to the list of things to look for at the gun show/ things to order.:bigthumb:

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I got a kinetic dont need to use it often, just there just in case :o Depends on the type of bullet too my kinetic only fucks up the softer ones.

22. Goat

I use a good bit of lead tipped bullets for myself and my dad, so the kinetic usually mangles them if I ever need it. The only time I ever really used it was during load development to take apart test loads, now that I've got everything down I hardly use either of them.