SRS did i do the right thing? shyness still a factor?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anna28471, May 17, 2005.

1. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

Last year, I began work for this company. I came into contact with the General Manager a few times, who always went out of his way to smile at me and/or check up on how things were going. Just recently he had passed away and my work is having a memorial service for him. Should I go? I didn't know him very well but I did know of him, and respected him..he did an awful lot.

I know this maybe a general question to some of you. You'll probably come out with a quick easy answer but I am shy and I worry all the time about how I am perceived to others. This job means an awful lot to me and I don't want to mess anything up.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

Yes, if you respect him that much you should go.

3. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

It wouldn't hurt to go. If anything, it will give you a little bit more solidarity with your coworkers. Plus, if he was a nice guy...well, he deserved maybe just one last goodbye?

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

at this point in time, there's really nothing to ask other than, does he deserve your last respects? any person you know as a person (most co-workers qualify) deserve a last goodbye unless they were the kind of person who you wish died (and amazingly fulfilled that wish)

think of it another way. if you died, and he lived, would you feel better if you knew he came to your funeral?

5. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

I could try giving you a long answer, as you have requested, and respond to your own limitations ...

such as shyness, worrying about how people think about you, and having a REAL feeling of importance in your job.

I want to start with saying thanks for asking this here, and for showing that you aren't really that shy if you could ask for help on here. I think that this place is possibly the worst place for a shy person to be. I salute you for your efforts!! You go girl!!

the answer that you want, and have answered for yourself was in your first paragraph:

"I didn't know him very well but I did know of him, and respected him..he did an awful lot. "

respect is all it takes. If you take the time to honor him, as others at his workplace will, I am sure, then you will find your workplace a much bigger and better place to work!!

I have an inkling that you already have the solution to this question, as a matter of fact, I am curious why you asked this question, but hey, how will I EVER know, right?? You have only 1 post, and there may never be another one, as far I could know.

Anyways, Anna, seeing as you haven't done anything yet, you're not really doing the right thing, yet. And you don't have to worry!! Whichever choice you take is the right one for you ...

good luck!! and I hope you post more often!! :wavey: