Did ford shoot them selves in the foot?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Fareo, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Fareo

Fareo New Member

In regards to the 2005 Mustang,

Granted its doing well right now and everyone seems to love the "retro" styling of that 1964 - 1970 look and it seems like the mustang is going stronger than it has in years, BUT …

... Where does ford go from here? Will the next redesign be more like the 1971? Or will it go back to the 2004 style body? Or will they just completely redesign the car. They have come full circle with the design of the car and the ‘05 has the traits of all the popular selling years of the car, there really isn’t another body style for them to throw back to and any redesign would be something totally different. So would this mean that after the 05's body style gets old that ford will drop the Mustang name and op for a new pony car? i mean, could they bring out a mustang that looks nothing like a mustang? would people accept it?

What are you thoughts?

2. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

I think that the new body style will last for quite a few years. Ford kept strong sales with all the past body styles even with very few updates. In 8 years or so, once this body style has lost some of it's luster, I think they'll do an evolution redesign. It won't be anything like the older Mustang. It'll just be an updated, more aerodynamic version of the '05 body style.

I don't think the retro styling is going to "wear off" like everyone seems to say it will. I predict Mustang sales will be strong, despite high gas prices, for the next 5 years easy.

3. CJPA

CJPA New Member

I've seen a shitload of women driving new 2005 V6 Mustangs already.

:rofl:

4. Cue-Ball

I haven't seen a single woman driving a new Mustang. I've seen plenty of V6 models, but no women drivers. Seems like women like the SN95, but not the 99+ or the '05.

5. laracroft

laracroft teh croft

I don't think that people would accept it.
    The newest Stang looks a lot like the '69. Not bad, but I don't think they can keep going...like you said they've come full circle :dunno:

6. 9volt

9volt If you see me running, try to keep up

I think people would accept a completely new design. I think most people buy Mustangs based on the name. As long as it is not some extreme off the wall design, people will always buy Mustangs.

7. Cue-Ball

Of course people would accept it. The 1971-73 models looked nothing like the 1970 and earlier cars. The 1974 Mustang II looked nothing like the 1973 model. The 1979 and cars looked NOTHING like any previous generation Mustang, yet the fox body was one of the most popular cars ever. They're sought after even today. The change from the '93 to the '94 used the same platform, but not a single piece of sheet metal was retained and the cars sold like crazy.

It doesn't matter if the next model looks like a previous model. It only matters that it doesn't suck and offers decent performance for a price that the average joe can afford.

8. showstopper2

showstopper2 Guest

they are gonna do a retro modern Mustang II next!!! sleaker but taking the best traits from the King Cobra's of the day...........

9. jonny_ringo74

jonny_ringo74 New Member

It looks great. AND I don't see any major competitors coming up with something better.

and don't say GTO.....

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

5 registered 2005 GT's at my highskool.

all 5 owned by girls (seniors all of them too)

very odd.

11. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

2 GT's in my neighborhood. roughly 6 more I've seen in the city, and 2 V-6. 1 chick driving a GT and 1 fag driving a V6.

12. BigT

BigT LSX Crew

They sure did, I'm waiting for the rebirth of the mustang II. :rofl:

13. JaxFlJon

JaxFlJon Guest

They've already came full circle awhile back and ford was going to stop making the mustang. But because of the popularity they've kept it going. They'll do somthing to keep their pony car up to date

14. pdb574

pdb574 New Member

So what if chicks drive it just means if a guy buys one chick will dig it...:naughty: