Did anyone see the new CAR this month? (BMW Discussion)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by seventh circle, Mar 23, 2003.

1. They had pics of the all new 5 series and 6 series. I think they looked pretty damn good, and I agree with that they are saying: its nice to know that the days of the look alike bmw's are over. Personally I like that BMW is changing things up and I really like their new designs for the 7 series, 3 series, and Z4. At heart they are still going to be BMWs, and that means that they will still be at the top of luxery performance game (Althought Mercedes is gaining on them, ever so quickly :big grin: )

Anyways, even with all new radical designs, we will continue to see BMWs having great quality and staying true to their performance heritage. Besides the 5 series is long over due for a makeover.

2. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Well, if you look at Jaguar, they kept the same over design and shape for the new XJ series. BMW didn't incorperate much of the older 7 series into the new designs. People probably won't recognize it as easily.

3. Well it is supposed to bring in new customers, the z3 was outdated and needed a change along with the rest of their line (excluding the z8).

I think BMW enthusiasts as your selves will come around eventualy and the new designs will grow on you. But Mr. Bangle is just trying to mix things up and you have to give him credit (the man has balls).

4. Well you have to look at Jaguar's targeted audience, balding rich men who like young 18 year old ass. They have made a pretty penny, but they aren't quite at the top of their game as an S class owner would be. They like the class that Jag offers and they obviously want people to know they have money. Jag was never really about performance, its British luxery, a poor mans Rolls if you will.

BMW on the other hand, has been geared toward the 'sporty business man', someone who appreciates a cars performance and loves to constantly push that performance. The way I see it, BMW has always been about change and designed its cars to match its performance. They have always talked the talk and walked the walk.

The new wave of designs are just the next step in BMW evolution. Like it or not, BMW is going to change and continue to change.

5. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Autoweek.com
    Warp 7 on 7 Series redo: BMW working fast to revamp flagship's design.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We have this on the highest authority: Your excuses for wanting to dangle BMW design chief Chris Bangle from a tree for what he did to your beloved 7 Series will be all but eliminated by year’s end.
    BMW sources in Germany tell us that Bangle and his team have been hard at work restyling the car since moments after the reskinned 7 premiered to “glaringly negative” reaction at the 2001 Frankfurt show.

Look for an all-new tail and face, with an improved trunk-lid line and the elimination of the Dame Edna eyebrows (see dame-edna.com, then you’ll understand) over the headlights.

With the 5 Series being the big news for the Frankfurt show in September, the redone 7 Series will appear perhaps “as early as Tokyo [Oct. 25 to Nov. 6] or maybe Detroit, but no later,” our source reports, following the fastest model redo in the history of the proud Munich firm.

6. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

I like the new designs. At first the 7 freaked me out but now it has grown on me. I loved the Z4 from the word go and I know I will eventually like the new 5, especially in ///M5 trim. I know the guys at ///M Division will find a way to turn Bangle's designs into something aggressive and sexy.

I think one reason that there is so much dislike toward the new design is in part because the previous designs are so awesome in every way. They have a cult following and it is hard to overcome that. I am also confident that BMW will listen to their fans and continue to make incremental improvements as they have with the e46.

Seventh Circle, you were right on with the Jag analogy. My ex boss is this fucktard of a wannabe CEO that has never done anything good in his career and is the definition of a kiss-ass. He thinks he's Larry Ellison yet has never led anyone to anything succesful or meaningful, including himself. In short....he is a complete fake. He drives a current gen Jag. When I see a Jag these days, I think of him.

7. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

Different and new does not always equal better.

These designs will bring in new customers? :rolleyes: There are enough yuppies out there fawning over the blue and white propellers that they'd take any BMW, even if the only colour available is metallic poop. The only ones the new designs will affect are the minority of hardcore BMW fans.

As m3 bavaria, stated, these designs are not that bad overall, but they shouldn't be on a BMW. (Even though I still think the eyebrows and boot on the 7er looks bad behind any badge)

For me, there are always one or two things about the new designs that doesn't go well with me. I liked the new Z4 ever since I saw it, but I still think it would be perfect without the flame surface.