Did anyone see the chemisty of attraction show last night? v.cliffs

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Sticky this thread. It's:

A crash course in relationships and attraction

that might not be the name of the show. you know i never actually hit the "info" button to see what it was called.

some vag'ers may have found it interesting. I'll try to sum up what they talked about, even tho the main people here already know it all:

- facial symmetry is attractive (they did studies where they took someone's face and printed 2 pics, a normal one, and one with the symmetry slightly skewed, put the pics side by side and told people they were twins and asked who was more attractive, and 80% picked the symmetrical face)

- humans subconsciously judge attractiveness for men by shoulder width and swagger, and for females by hip to waist ratio of .7:1 and a swagger in hips while walking (they didn't specify if the .7:1 ratio was circumference or width. I assumed it was circumference, cuz that's how people measure themselves with a tape measure, but later on they showed someone being measured with a giant clamp device that would measure width

- humans emphasize their swagger (shoulder or hips) when they know they are being watched/evaluated for sexiness (probably because emphasizing it can mask genetic weaknesses that may otherwise preclude someone from breeding with them)

- without taking anything other than physical looks into the equation, humans will choose the most attractive mate they can. When evaluated on a 1-10 scale of looks, humans tend to be with someone of +/- 1 point of their own rating (in other words, 10s will reject 5s because they can get a 9 or 10, but a 5 will not reject another 5. this was tested by assigning people numbers on cards on their foreheads that they could not see, but other test subjects could, and telling everyone in the room to choose the highest number they could. people paired up with their own number +/-1. when the test was repeated without the numbered cards, the people paired up based on similar levels of attractiveness)

- women are more picky because they have more to lose from a sexual encounter

- men are primarily attracted to looks

- women are attracted to looks but also status amongst a group (this part was hilarious; they showed a car club full of low riders and cars bouncing on switches and hydraulics and a bunch of Mexicans talking about how they use their cars to attract women. then they showed a few Mexican chicks talking about how they liked men with nice cars and they liked the guy with the nicest car cuz he was the leader of the pack (true conclusion about women being attracted to the leader of the pack, but it was funny how they got there). then they showed a guy talking to the camera about how a nice car will get you a hot chick :bowrofl:

- women are attracted to money (they took photos of men and had women rate them. some guys got 4s and some guys got 9s. then they took the same photos and added "occupation" and "salary" to the pictures. They gave the 4s high paying jobs ($200k+)and the 9s low paying jobs ($23k) and asked a different set of women. The highly paid guys became 9s and the hot, low paid guys became 4s.

- women are attracted to sexy cars (they had women evaluate the sexiness of the front ends of different cars. some dumb bitch said that more expensive cars are safer :rofl: My Honda Civic is safer than your expensive German car, bitch :bowrofl: )

- there are a few other things that cause attraction besides looks and money, however, such as compatible tastes in things

- smell is a huge indicator of attraction because it identifies differences in immune function. this is a built in anti-inbreeding strategy (women were asked to smell the shirts of sweaty men, and were most attracted to the ones who had the most different immune system. when a shirt of a family member was added in, the women were strongly repulsed by that smell)

- women are most sensitive to a man's pheromones when she's ovulating. in fact, at other times she's often turned off by it

- promiscuity benefits a woman by allowing the strongest sperm to reach her egg (i believe this was mentioned in "Sperm Wars")

- women in commited relationships are more likely to go out when they are ovulating and cheat with an alpha man than single women :eek3:

- the subject of women winning the "genetics jackpot" (having a beta male raise her offspring that came from an alpha male) was hinted at but not directly stated

- testosterone = lust

- dopamine = reward/sex

- oxytocin = long term pair bonding. oxytocin is related to vasopressin, the hormone that keeps prarie voles in monogamous relationships (my favorite vole study :bowdown:) MRI studies confirmed that successful long term couples' brains still produce oxytocin when they see each other

- they intereviewed some couples and they were talking about how they liked how the other one smells. in an older couple, the woman said when she met her husband, she asked him to borrow a pen and he gave her a gold Cross (brand) pen and she knew he was cool right then (coughgolddiggercough). The guy goes "lol, I was a salesman I need a nice pen" :rofl:

That's basically it. No new information, but it was probably new for the people who aren't nerds like me and don't spend their time reading studies about prarie voles and neurochemistry :mamoru:

2. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Sounds like it was a good show... :bigthumb:

3. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Actually women rate social status higher than looks... That's why an older or ugly guy with money and social status can score hot chicks.

You should have seen this couple I saw this last weekend. The guy was seriously in his 50's or 60's, white hair, receiting hairline, pot belly, flabby, and his chick was late 20's early 30's, big breasts, tight body (must workout daily) and fucking HOT! :squint:

4. lauren

lauren Active Member

how do you know your civic is safer? most high end luxury/sport cars aren't even tested.....and those that are tested are entry level and those dont count.

but i digress. :mamoru:

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

but good write up regardless.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

:ugh:

I meant like BMW and Mercedes. They're tested.

You may be right about Bentleys and Ferraris, but I would assume that all cars are required to be tested.

7. lauren

lauren Active Member

looked on safecar.gov

i could only find ratings for select 3series/cclass.....in older years. but the website sucks and i got tired of it reloading each time. :dunno:

8. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Did they explain this in more detail? What more do they have to lose?

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

9 months of pregnancy and years of taking care of a baby.

Men can fuck and walk away.

10. Vysion

Vysion New Member

:werd: Dating is one big lie after another... you don't really see the true person until that initial stage is over. Another reason why friends before dating is better...

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

they used the analogy that, if you're going to pay $200 for a dinner, you're going to do a lot of research and make sure the restaurant is awesome and you'll get a good deal before you go.

If you're going to pay $5 for a dinner, you don't really care if it's less than stellar quality.

They said women never have the option of eating a $5 dinner.

12. lauren

lauren Active Member

more susceptible to disease as well.

13. Vysion

Vysion New Member

What are they losing? Most women want to become mothers... :confused:

14. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Wat?

15. lauren

lauren Active Member

i forget what it was specifically, but females are xx times more likely to pick up a std than a dude.

not sure about the methodology used to reach that conclusion, either.

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Consider the mental, financial, and social implications of becoming pregnant.

Maybe the woman isn't in a position where she is able to support a baby.

17. lauren

lauren Active Member

at 23 with no husband? hardly.

18. blackrat

blackrat Active Member

Anyone know what the show was called? Sounds pretty funny, especially the part with the cards on the head.:rofl:

And that oxytocin deal is pretty mind blowing. I read about the prarie vole study a couple of weeks ago and the implications of everything being attributed to a chemical could have a big impact on people in the future once they get it all ironed out.

19. KindlyCuddly

KindlyCuddly Irina Lazareanu

and you really think she was attracted to him?

20. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Yes. Social status and money are more important to some women than looks...

I'm not saying that women are shallow, even though many are, but if they have a guy that is interested in them, confident socially, has money, power, and has amazing social skills, they can look past looks.

Guys on the other hand, can't. That is why many guys complain about their SO's not taking care of their body as they get older. Or even trade in the old wife for a new and younger version.

21. KindlyCuddly

KindlyCuddly Irina Lazareanu

they look past looks because they're attracted to the lifestyle that an older man with money will bring them. houses, vacations, clothes, handbags, associated status. that does not mean they get hot and bothered by the man attached to the lifestyle. many women in such situations keep younger, good looking, often dirt poor lovers on the side when they're in those types of relationships (which is where the "housewife fucking the pool-boy" thing stems for). shows like these tend to muddy the line between "what's sexually exciting for men/women" and "what men/women seek when partnering".

22. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

BF and I dvred it last night, we're supposed to watch it tonight :wiggle:

23. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Post your comments in this thread :h5:

24. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

You took notes on a television show?

Geoffrey Miller's The Mating Mind if you guys are looking for support behind these theories

25. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Nah dude I did that from memory this morning after the show. It was interesting so I paid attention and remembered :big grin: