Did anybody get Call of Pripyat?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Der SchattenJager, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Der SchattenJager

Der SchattenJager Kupo, asshat.

While it was somewhat of a buggy mess, I enjoyed the first STALKER, and this new one got a pretty decent score at IGN. Anybody play it?

Also, do I need to play Clear Sky first? I have it, but just never got around to installing it.

2. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I'm also interested. IMO Clear Sky was a little disappointing but still fun. But after getting both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky the same week they were released and dealing with all the bugs, I've decided I'm gonna give them a few months to work out all the bugs in Call of Pripyat before I bother getting it.

3. Der SchattenJager

Probably a good call.

I noticed that the game isn't on Steam. I wonder why. Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky are.

4. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Call of Pripyat is a bug-free, incredible improvement over Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky.

They basically took everything that was awesome about the 1st and 2nd, and added a few things on top of that.

It's motherfucking awesome. I had the Russian release (with English translation) a few months back and went through it twice...

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Is it still impossible to hit anybody more than 10 feet away for the first 3/4 of the game? That was my biggest complaint about the first two, I understand you're not going to get the best guns right away, and the early guns won't be amazing, but come on, even with an AKS-74u you should be able to hit a guy from 100 feet.

6. Sloi

Yes and no. There's readily apparent recoil in most of the weapons, but you get to upgrade everything...

Word to the wise: F2000 is BOSS. Upgrade that gun and commence unstoppable laughter.

(You can speak with a guy in the boat - save your game and order an assault rifle from him... if you get the F2000, win, else repeat until win)

7. Der SchattenJager

8. UberDuberSoldat

UberDuberSoldat Lord, beer me strength. OT Supporter

i can't wait to play this game, the first two were so sick

9. UberDuberSoldat

lol they're practically forcing me to pirate this game :rofl:

I went to every store i could think of, gamestop, fry's, bestbuy to try and find this and no one had it. The only place I found was amazon, but I don't want to wait for those assholes to ship it so im renewing my newsgroups sub :bowrofl:

10. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

i found it at target of all places

11. UberDuberSoldat

target near me sucks major balls, they didn't have it either. regardless im installing now, only took half hour to dl :bowdown:

12. Der SchattenJager

Let me know how it is :coold:

13. UberDuberSoldat

just finished it :rofl: marathon playthrough. I was sooo looking forward to this game after clear sky. Pretty satisfied with it, but I was kind of disappointed with the lack of overall objective you had. I thought they would answer more questions about the CNPP and its core, everything strelok experienced, instead it was kind of filler story and they left it open for a fourth.
    If the first two games had this setup and playstyle they would have been much better. Im looking forward to the mods for this game, I remember modding shadow of chernobyl with like 5 gigs of custom content and it was 20x better :noes:

Once again the VSS is the king of all the weapons, but i was so glad to find u can equip two primaries this time. VSS + Enforcer Shotgun = unstoppable. Also, the Exosuit is the best in the game, but don't bother with it until you find the calibration tools in pripyat so you can sprint with it. Stick with the SEVA suit until then. Great game, can't wait for the next one :x:

I only encountered one major bug, and it disabled me from doing one mission, but compared to the first two games it ran pretty nicely. The most annoying bug I had was a stalker knocked my VSS to the ground and picked it up so it became his equipment. I was forced to kill him and his five buddies because he wouldn't sell it back :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  14. Der SchattenJager

:coold:

I'm sold. I'm just going to skip Clear Sky and go straight to this. Headin' out to Target to see if I have any luck.

15. Der SchattenJager

Oh snap, it was just made available on Steam for $19.99 if you have the steam versions of Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky. :coold:

16. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

^ gotta love it when fans get discounts =)

17. Der SchattenJager

Got the game and played about 5 hours so far.

Wow, I'm impressed. It's very in-depth from an ARPG standpoint. I love how customizable most weapons/armor are.

Another thing that stands out is the game is quite difficult, especially at first. The first couple missions I decided to do, I kept getting my ass kicked by bloodsuckers. Hell, even the occasional dog will come out and rape me.

Combat is very satisfying, though. Popping a rogue stalker in the head with a single shot is usually enough to drop him. The weapons are inaccurate at distance, but have power when they hit, giving it a very realistic feel.

You have to be pretty good at micromanagement as well, because there's bleeding, radiation poisoning, and hunger to deal with. Rationing is also very important since anything out in the wastes can put a big hurting on you very quickly, and healing and anti-radiation items are pretty scarce. But I think all of this goes toward giving the game a realistic feel.

I'm playing this at the same time I'm playing through Mass Effect 1 for the first time, and I have to say I am finding Call of Pripyat much more enjoyable. Both are pseudo-RPGs, but CoP is much more action-packed.

18. UberDuberSoldat

i played thru veteran first run through, and now im playing on master. its hard as fuck. basically two or three bullets and ur dead just like how fast it is to drop anyone else.

19. Sloi

The atmosphere is incredible.

I've yet to find another game that matches it. Not even close.

20. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I just beat this. I agree with the comments regarding the setting. Excellent.

Kinda abrupt ending.

21. Der SchattenJager

I put this on veteran thinking I was all badass at FPSes. Thank god I didn't go all out and put it on the hardest difficulty. Even on veteran I'm getting my ass kicked.

Anomalies are brutal.

22. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

easier with a veles detector or better

23. UberDuberSoldat

i just picked up the AtmosFear mod, its fucking badass, the environments are even better.

24. Der SchattenJager

I just looked at screenshots for that. Looks pretty badass, gonna have to give it a try. I'm getting decent fps, hopefully this doesn't totally kill it.

25. melted_one

melted_one New Member

I'm definitely getting on it once I get my new pc. I loved Shadow of Chernobyl.