GUN Did a speech on concealed carry on campus in my public speaking class

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, Oct 10, 2008.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

After I was done, a girl who was speaking the next class walked up to the teacher, said she was planning on doing her speech in opposition to concealed carry on campus, but wanted to change her topic after hearing my speech.

Not sure if I actually changed her mind or if she just knew that her speech would sound like a load of shit after everyone heard mine first.

Either way it made my dick hard knowing that I either converted an anti, or at the very least, fucked over an anti so she has to write a whole new speech now.

2. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

Can you post your speech or the highlights?

3. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I'll post it when I get home.

4. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

5. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

She could've still done it if she knew someone who got killed in a school shooting and she could use emotion to undo all the reasoning and logic you used to write your speech. The most annoying anti CCC argument is that somehow the whole campus will become the wild wild west if people are allowed to conceal carry on campus. :uh:

6. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

7. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

my wife did the same thing, she did a speech on gun control, just so happens about 7 other people did too. lozl.

then again we are in houston so. yea.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Well done.

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Good job!

10. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I'm doing a presentation in a couple weeks about a businesses/schools rights to ban carrying on their property or in the employee's car. Presentation also involves employee right to privacy.

11. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

IN for .DOC or .PDF of yours. I know if I'd planned an anti-yourspeech, I'd be able to revise my arguments to try to mop up the floor with you (since, unlike a debate, you wouldn't get to respond). Clever logical falacies, FTW.

12. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I was going to write an essay about gun free school zones for my english comp class, but when I told my professor about my plans she went straight to 5 year olds carrying guns and child solidiers in sierra lion. Then when I said 5 may be a bit young but with proper education we could lay the ground work for a reasonably well trained college students and high school teaches to be armed she flipped shit and told me if I wrote the paper I would fail her class period.

13. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

In for report. :h5:

14. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

some people are just so closed minded :o

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

In for a .doc

16. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

would love to see this .doc or .docx

17. Shingmaster

Shingmaster omgOTbangaz4life

in for .doc

18. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

In for .rtf

19. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

decent. congrats.

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

no love for .txt?

21. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

That's bullshit... you could have taken that over her head. :squint:

22. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

:noes: i have a feeling we wont see this speech....

23. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Introduction
    Let’s say a deranged gunman is at that door behind you. Would you rather call police and wait the average of 9 minutes for them to arrive, or would you rather that someone in the class drew their own gun and stopped the shooter on the spot? In light of the increasing number of school shootings, the issue of allowing students and teachers to carry weapons has come into the political forum. Most people initially find that idea to be crazy, however, as Americans, students and teachers must be allowed the right to carry weapons on campus, based on reasons backed by statistics and logic, as well the values set forth by the Constitution.
    Body
    I. Lets start out by addressing the laws.
    A. First and foremost of all laws pertaining to guns in the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which states “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
    1. Despite claims from gun control organizations that the second amendment refers to the National Guard (which was established in 1917, 130 years after the Bill of rights was adopted), the Supreme Court of the U.S. recently ruled in D.C. vs. Heller that the statement “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed,” clearly guarantees the right of gun ownership to individual citizens.
    2. As citizens with the constitutional right to bear arms, no public institution such as a state university should be able to deny us this right.
    B. Many people say that there is no need for guns because the police will protect us.
    1. Believe it or not, there have been several Supreme rulings that police have no legal obligation to protect any individual, and that their obligation “to protect” is only a general effort to the community.
    2. The most notable case of this was D.C. vs. Warren, in which 3 women lost a lawsuit against Washington D.C. after they had been robbed, raped, and beaten for 14 hours with no police response, despite having called police several times before their attackers got to them.
    C. Some states laws do allow teachers and students to carry weapons on campus.
    1. At the Appalachian School of Law in Virginia, where law permits students and teachers to carry weapons, a shooting was stopped and by two gun-carrying students. Only three people were killed before the shooter was subdued. (USA Today, 2002)
    II. Along with the law, there are many facts and statistics that show the ineffectiveness of police, as well as the effectiveness of private gun ownership.
    A. The average police response time in large cities is typically 7-10 minutes, which is more than enough time for a criminal to kill you and your family. (Krauss, 1996)
    1. The time it takes a .45 caliber bullet to travel from the barrel of your gun and into a serial killer 10 feet away is about 16 milliseconds. That’s 20 times faster than the blink of an eye, and 30,000 times faster than the police.
    2. Even when police show up in time, there is no guarantee they will be able to stop your attacker, as the typical firearms training a police officer receives is mediocre at best.
    3. Police officer’s lives are not on the line until they choose to get involved, and they may be reluctant to engage in a shootout. For example, in videos of the Columbine shooting, police were not entering the school, and rather waiting outside, leaving those still inside the school defenseless.
    B. People who hold a license to carry concealed weapons are statistically shown to be less prone to violence and crime than those who do not have a license or gun.
    1. In Texas, the general public is 5 times more likely to commit a violent felony than a conceal carry permit holder. (Texas, 2000)
    C. Guns are used far more often to stop crimes than to commit crimes.
    1. While there are around 10,000 homicides by gun per year, guns are used to defend against criminals around 2.5 million times per year.

2. For every 1 gun homicide, there are 250 incidents in which a gun was used to stop a crime, and potentially saved lives.
    3. In states where concealed carry is not allowed, their average crime rate is 11% higher than the states that do allow concealed carry. (Kleck & Gertz, 1995)
    D. Owning a firearm does not make a person more prone to violence.
    1. In Kansas City, in 90% of so-called “crime of passion” domestic violence homicides, police had been to called to the home an average of 5 times within the past 2 years prior to the homicide.
    2. In nearly all homicides by gun, the killer had some previous record of violence. It is extremely rare for an otherwise law-abiding citizen to suddenly “snap” and start killing without anything leading up to it. (Rossi and Wright, 1986)
    III. If the laws and statistics haven’t convinced you to support concealed carry on campus, some common sense reasoning should.
    A. The prevalence of guns will not result in mass shootings.
    1. If the prevalence of guns meant that more violence was likely to occur, then there would be regular shootouts every week at gun shows and shooting ranges across the country.
    2. Criminals are much less likely to attack someone when they know that many people around them may be armed.
    3. Nearly all school shootings, including Columbine and Virginia Tech, were planned out in advance, and guns were obtained after the plan was conceived.
    B. Criminals do not follow laws.
    1. Criminals, by definition, are people who break the law. Murder is already illegal, so there is no logical reason why another law against carrying a weapon would stop anybody who was already planning on committing murder.
    Conclusion
    I. To wrap things up, not everyone has to like guns, but denying the right to carry a weapon flies in the face of logic, facts, and freedom. Many people will go their entire lives without ever finding themselves in need of a gun, but as with all things in life, it’s better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. If we are allowed the right to carry a weapon, that right may very well save your life one day. As Thomas Jefferson said, “The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man” I urge you to support the right to carry a weapon on campus, for the sake of both liberty and safety.

24. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

25. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Cool... will read through it tomorrow when I'm not so tired. :)