Did a search, iPod related.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Beason, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

Someone was tlaking about DRM, right management? and they say it stops play back of certain files? Does this mean I cant take songs ive downloaded from Kazaa and play them on the iPod?

2. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

i'll go out on a limb and guess that your downloaded files are mp3s...and those play just fine

stuff you buy from the iTunes Music Store have DRM (and also work on the iPod)

stuff you buy from some other online music front have their own kind of DRM and do NOT work on the iPod (but they'd love it if they could)

bottom line: music you're stealing on the internet is not protected by DRM ;)

3. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

ahhh music to my ears....no pun intended

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

actually, real networks announced they are going to be compatible, but apple's pissed about it, so it probably won't be compatible for long.

5. Icedog

Icedog New Member

Apple should just license fairplay. Make AAC the standard.. better than that WMA stuff anyways.

6. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

yea...i never realized how crappy they must be doing as a company to pull as desperate a stunt as that

7. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

not to nitpick, but aac is a standard and isn't proprietary to apple...just fairplay (the drm itself)

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

actually, that's not the best idea just yet because for the most part, the iTMS still functions as a loss leader to sell iPods, and FairPlay DRM locks you into using an iPod. So it doesn't behoove apple just yet to do so because they make a larger profit margin from iPod sales than iTMS songs. But that's starting to change, too (iTMS is beginning to become profitable).