Did a full-power test today...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mister Mac', Jun 21, 2002.

1. Mister Mac'

Mister Mac' Av: Daniela Denby-Ashe in Torchwood S1Ep7

450W Amp + Full bass-boost + full volume + Sonique: Sky + Sony 15" (250W) = Lightly toasted voice coils :doh:

There wasn't any distortion that I could hear, and it reached an unbelievable SPL, but when I got back in the car there was a slight burning smell :ugh: :doh: The sub still seems to work fine, but I won't be able to risk doing that again :(

The amp did MUCH better than I thought it would, the battery it was running off isn't in the best condition, but it still didn't distort :bigthumb:

Edit: Estimated SPL = Mid 140s

Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  2. Geezle

Geezle Sweetness :love:

The voice coils on my subs are packed in ferro fluid. When it's hot outside and I really work my subs, this stuff actually gets hot enough to the point where it's boiling (or at least I'm told this is what is happening...I've never actually looked at it) When they get to that point, I notice a smell in my car. It doesn't do any actual damage to the sub...it's just that stuff heating up...

3. 04

04 Guest

What kind of subs are you using that use ferrofluid? I am assuming you are saying its in the magnetic gap? :wtf: I have NEVER seen a speaker that has more than 0mm Xmax with ferrofluid. It would cause the cone motion to be terrible. A liquid, such as ferrofluid is A LOT more viscous than air. Perhaps you have a tweeter that is ferrofluid cooled? If it is infact a subwoofer, please tell me which one, thx.

4. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

i dont think theres any subs that are ferrofluid cooling and that can move hehe

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i too am puzzled, what are the mystery subs we are talking about???