MMA Diaz a boxing pro

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ilduce, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ilduce

ilduce New Member

It's rare a fighter has a dimension to his skill set that foments such polarizing views. On the one hand some suggest Diaz's boxing technique is grossly overrated and relies heavily on absorbing punishment while leaving countless openings for opponents. Others suggest he deftly uses range, volume and pressure to break down opposition in boxing clinics. Whatever the truth may be (I lean slightly more towards the latter than the former), Diaz is going to put those skills to some form of a professional boxing test:

(Cambria California, August 15, 2009) - Having been one of the few boxing promoters around today to have witnessed the great Sugar Ray Robinson fight live, it is no easy feat to impress Don "War-a-Week" Chargin. This hall-of-fame promoter has been touted by his peers as possibly being the best match-maker the boxing world has ever bore witness to. This is why it is with great intrigue that at the tail end of his long, illustrious career that Chargin would actively pursue what most would consider a long-shot proposal.

Having promoted boxing matches from various era's including the Dick Tiger-Gene Fullmer middleweight title bout at San Francisco's Candlestick Park in 1962, the veteran promoter relishes the opportunity to promote one of both boxing and mixed martial arts most entertaining fighters.

Nick Diaz is a fighter many have proclaimed as the "Arturo Gatti" of the MMA world. His bloodbath with Japan's best 155-pounder, Takanori Gomi was a perfect example as to why many fight fans following both mixed martial arts as well as boxing have labeled him as such. This six foot tall southpaw has waged war in virtually all of the major mixed martial arts promotional firms such as Strikeforce, UFC, Pride, WEC, IFL and the now defunct EliteXC. Diaz has openly touted his desire and willingness to step into the boxing ring to take on any fighter willing to match wits, skill, and bravery with the Stockton resident.

Don Chargin states, "I know the signing of a mixed martial arts fighter might be considered controversial by many boxing fans across the world. When the subject of mixed martial arts versus boxing arises, it always comes down to the boxer winning a boxing match easily and vice versa for MMA. However, after having seen the replays of Diaz's fights over the course of his career, I truly believe that this kid has what it takes to really make for some very entertaining fights within boxing. While some would state that he's merely a slugger possessing a good chin and a heavy work-rate, there's something about his rythm and fighting intelligence that really caught my eye."

Currently signed with mixed martial arts promotional firm, Strikeforce, it has allowed Nick the leeway to attempt to become the first athlete in the history of both sports to become a dual sport champion. This is something that would never have been remotely possible had Diaz been signed due to the UFC due to Dana White's reluctance to allow his fighters to participate within boxing.

Chargin continues, "I think the battle between the MMA world and the boxing world has reached it's boiling point and it's time to settle this inside the ring. Out of all the MMA fighters I've seen today, Nick is the only guy that I feel would truly put up a battle. Having been around from the era of Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky Marciano, and other past greats, I can tell you right now that Nick Diaz is as tough as they come. He's also one of the few MMA guys that actually regularly puts in the gym work to improve his boxing IQ and I think it shows when he fights in the cage."
    I'm not sure I understand the relevancy of the UFC dig, but it's their press release to deal with I suppose.

No word yet on an opponent, although I wouldn't get your hopes up. Chargin is a member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame and currently serves as a Senior Advisor to Golden Boy Promotions, but there's an open question about what kind of boxer he can reasonably match with Diaz both from an ability and resources vantage point.

I'll just say this to the boxing fans who either yawn at the news or are chomping at the bit for the sight of a MMA fighter being laid out on the canvas after trying his hand at professional boxing. All of that's good and well, but if I were loyal first to boxing, I'd be all in favor of MMA fighters making the attempt at the sweet science. There is still uncharted territory left, namely, a high-level, the emergence of an accomplished, popular professional MMA fighter achieving similarly prestigious accolades in boxing.

That fighter's popularity from MMA could ultimately do boxing some good. How much? Not a whole lot. It's not any sort of event that will have far reaching ramifications (with the possible exception of a spectacle like Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones, Jr.), but there's no good reason to be unwelcoming of the media attention this type of situation could bring with the right players in place. I'm not sure Diaz is that bellwether, but I'm not ready to dismiss him yet either.

2. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

He has good tecnical boxing :dunno:

3. Kuet

Kuet New Member

no he doesnt :rofl:

4. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

:rofl:

5. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

lol wtf, out of all the fighters in MMA this guy thinks Diaz is the best suited to become a professional boxer?? I can't imagine Diaz's little rabbit punches hurting anyone with 12oz gloves on.

edit: or is it 10 ounces? i'm a fucken boxing noob.

6. tkluu

tkluu New Member

why not KJ Noons? He's a pro boxer also isn't he?

7. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

8. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Diaz has smoked himself retarted.

9. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

I'd watch :dunno:

10. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

Wasn't Anderson Silva a professional boxer? Or at least an amateur boxer?

11. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

yeah that's why Rogan said he's not pretty like Mayweather

12. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggasdfjoawepjfaosdjf

13. Kuet

Kuet New Member

great post bro. :hsugh:

14. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

In for Diaz vs. Green

and then we'll welcome Diaz's ass back to MMA. WTF dont embarrass us Diaz you prick

15. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

i think its his best yet.

16. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. THE LIOG

THE LIOG EVVVVVVVVEERRYYOONNNNNNNE EEEEE

Whoever wrote that pile of shit has been smoking with Diaz

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

this has all the makings for lols

19. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Don't smoke too much weed kids youll end up like Nick Diaz or worse, Tony.

20. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

:rofl::rofl:

I don't get how everytime I see him fight they say he has good boxing, his boxing is fucking horrible, the only thing he has is his reach. He throws wide ass hooks and his punches seem slow. He puts no body movement into his punches, no head movement and always flat fooded.