diamond audio for an IS300 + need subwoofer and amp recommendations please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Atmosphere, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

my friend's looking into getting a pair of s600s components for his '02 IS300, keeping his rears stock for a larger frequency range, and eventually getting an amp and one 10" subwoofer

any suggestions on what he should look into? he's only looking into a single 10" because of trunk space limitations, and he doesn't want his car to rattle and sound too ghetto. and as far as the amp is concerned, what's the optimal setup and what kind of amp should he look into?

he's on a budget of course, so he doesn't want to spend more than $100 for everything for a decent setup. what do you recommend?

2. 04

04 Guest

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

4. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

if he is looking for something that will provide good SQ and take up as little space as possible i would suggest looking at something like the JL w7, or even the Elemental Designs subs (really any series would be good, but i would think that the K series would suit best) both are great with small sealed enclosures, and recreating sq. the main difference is the ED subs are a fraction of the cost of a JL sub

5. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

yeah, he's looking into a w6 even, but i suggested looking into an ID3 on behalf of OT. any idea how much a 10" ID3 would cost? :hs:

6. 04

04 Guest

I would go with the JL over ID.

7. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

ID3s are pretty cheap at www.carmedia1.com does www.mmxpress.com still carry them?

I'd go with the W7 if possible, the 10 is a beast...

10" idmax in stock anywhere?

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

really? even a W6 over and ID3? LS would be cartwheeling in his OT grave if he knew

9. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

whoa nelly...that's totally out of my vernacular there. he wants no larger than a 10" for space and sound reasons.

what kind of amp setup should he run for his setup though?

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

hmm...thanks. i'll toss those links his way and see what he thinks of them

11. 04

04 Guest

Yes, but I don't reccomend ID anymore to anyone because of their poor PR and arrogant attitudes towards customers.

They make great products, its the people that are unacceptable IMO (like Matt Overpeck and Audiomobile)

12. denim

denim New Member

Have you thought about companies that are not all over MTV cribs?

such as Resonant Engineering and their XXX?
    or Stereo Integrity and their Magnum D2?
    or Orion and their H2?
    or Crystal and their COMPx2?
    or Eclipse and their Titanium?

they are all very capable and in most cases cost much less than the W7 and put out very similar performance,

and 04 I am not trying to argue with you but Eric Stevens is on Sounddomain.com and is very helpful to his customers asking questions

his number is:

310-856-4999

my only problem with ID is the voice coil alignment problems with the IDmax, a few of my friends have had the same problem in different installations

good luck Atomsphere

13. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

oh, sorry....i'm a noob when it comes to this stuff for the most part. i know stuff out of crutchfield catalogs though :naughty:

:hs:

but thanks...i'll pass the info along

14. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

gotcha

from what he's told me, he can get a 10w6 for about $150, so he's looking into that as far as the sub goes. his roommate at law school can help build him a custom box, and he's researching right now to see if it will fit inside this compartment in his trunk for ski equipment that's a little less than 2' cubed

15. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i'll do a little research on them myself on those products, but i think he's pretty situated about the components and pretty decided on the sub as far as i know. he's a regular on is300.net where he's been asking around a lot himself. i forgot about sounddomain though, so i'll whore them for awhile :o

hopefully, this regular on is300.net who works at diamond audio can hook my friend up too

16. 04

04 Guest

Thats fine, but the condesending attitude they have towards customers and incorrect information they provide on forums did them in for me. Many people seem to have had good experiences with them, and thats great. But the stuff I've seen from staff @ ID on online forums has been very poor, hopefully they are better over the phone or in person.

The coil alignment problems are probably due to the very narrow gap needed because of the 2 layer coil. It's a tradeoff, less inductance for less thermal power handling and tighter tolerances needed.

17. denim

denim New Member

I dont want to break any rules, but he can come check my site, SSAudio.com and check the deals there, there is and Adire dealer (brahma) and Stereo Integrity is on there with their brand new Magnum D2 15", both are top end SQl woofers

also Termpro has a good classified section, and cbrstereo has good deals on H2's

18. denim

denim New Member

sorry you had a bad experience,

well the IDMAX is an awsome performer, but I have seen to many failures, I hope the next version is more reliable, I really love the way that sub rolls of heavy bass lines and how crisp it hits higher bass hits
    :bigthumb: