DeVry???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Toolex, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter

Does anyone here go to DeVry? I'm thinking about going there next semseter and i can't decide if i'd like it or not. If anyone goes there, how do you like it? what are your future plans? Any advice for me? .....AND, if anyone doesn't go there, but has some imput i'll accept that as well :)

-now, flame the noob

2. samm

samm Next in Line

How much is their tuition per semester?

3. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter

couple grand :( 3 sesmesters in a year, though. Extra money, trying to decide if it's worth it...

4. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

My friend Chris and Benji went there. They both graduated this past year. If you need their #, let me know. DeVry is about 20mins from my house.

5. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

From what i hear, devry resumes are basically thrown out, virtually anything else is seen as higher (including high school + experience only).....know a few people who went to school there and told me how little it has done to help them

what my employers have told me, and others have told friends in the industry is that there is a hierarchy of desireablity:

1. BS+ and certifications (for specific fields only)
    2. BS+
    3. Certs
    4. High school w/ experience

(some argue that 2 and 3 should be swapped...doesnt really matter cuz schools like devry or u of pheonix arent considered acredited schools to many employers...and even if they are to some, your still excluding some opportunities...why short change yourself)

my advise is pony up the time and money for a literal university or get a few certs if you dont want to dedicate that much time

6. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter

are there any success stories from devry? :(

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it depends on what you wanna do. DeVry will *never* look as good as getting a degree from a "real" university. However, I know several people with degrees from DeVry that would never have been able to get degrees from a conventional institution... If you can't get through a normal 4-year school, then something from DeVry is better than nothing... To the same token, don't consider DeVry as a replacement for a conventional school.

Basically, some people are meant to go to college. Some can't handle it. For some that can't handle a conventional university, they can deal with DeVry -- and that puts them better-off than if they had nothing. Not to mention that DeVry could get you *A* job -- which is difficult in this economy, anyway... Then once you've done your time and build a good resume, where you went to school becomes less and less important... It's just a matter that you *did* go to school, and you have the applicable work-experience.

my $0.02

8. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

I'll be graduating from DeVry in June. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about how easy it is to get a decent career after DeVry as I have only just started looking myself. I haven't really heard anything about DeVry resumes being thrown out. Actually, I've heard the opposite from the few companies I've talked to. DeVry doesn't seem like a bad school but don't expect an education equal to that of MIT or other well known schools. I've heard many success stories from DeVry graduates but, of course, there are also people with bad experiences, much like you would probably find at just about any college/university. I'm a CIS major so if you have any specific questions about what classes you have to take or what exactly you'll learn I'll try my best to help.

9. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Well my friend Chris that graduated from DeVry here in Columbus, all he could muster up with is a $32k / year job that he hates.

10. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

My roommate went to DeVry.. he has the same job I had out of highschool... though he's not very proactive when it comes to looking for another job.

11. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:wavey: I'm a DeVry grad and there are a few people on the main forum who go there now. I took EET though but my, then, fiance too the CIS course.

It was expensive but pretty good IMO.