MIL Devils, what should I know about getting promoted to Coporal ??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Dec 18, 2007.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I have met the cutting score requirements and this was before my pros and cons were given an 'upgrade' this past weekend. I've nearly maxed out my PME's (MCI and college courses). I'm qualified as an expert on the rifle range and I have a first class PFT. The only thing I can think of so far that I might have trouble with is my Marine Corps knowledge (BST). The last score I got on my BST was like a 44, out of 156 questions, I think.

And don't we have to wear our dress blues, take a picture, send it to the promotion board, and later stand in front of a bunch of Sgt Majs in order to try and get promoted?

Currently on the Reserve side, we only have 1 gunny, 2 lcpls and 4 pfcs.

My next drill is Jan 5/6. Do I just talk to my superiors about trying to get me promoted ?? I talked to em this past weekend and they said not to worry, they'll get me promoted. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
  2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

quit the cocaine

3. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I've never used cocaine.
    At one point or another I will want to try it to see what all the fuss is about, but not anytime soon.

4. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I haven't submitted a request to get promoted. I'm not sure of how the entire process works.
    I'm guessing they won't promote me unless I request it, eh?

5. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

various ways, either you've hit TIG/TIS and you've cleared the score and you'll get promoted automatically, or every quarter you can be submitted for meritorious promotion. that's the one where you go in for dress alphas (or blues) and get questioned by some officers and what not. that's usually for people without TIG/TIS.

as for the BST, i'm not sure why your SNCOs aren't properly motivating you guys. for us, our chief just read off the answers to the test :hsugh: it's also the same test every single quarter.

6. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Oh, so it can be automatic. That's interesting. I didn't know that.
    I guess I'll just have to wait it out then, too see if I get promoted automatically, eh ??

7. kidhero

it could also depend on your MOS, if the NCOs are full then you'll have to wait

8. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Like I said in the first post. On our reserve side we have 1 SNCO and 6 Junior Marines. The SNCO came in on Sunday complaining about the lack of promotion capable Marines. And at end of the day my active duty Sgt told me he would counsel me some other time but went ahead and did the paper work and increased my pros/cons considerably. Maybe that was his way of letting me know he would work on getting me promoted. :dunno:

I have definitely met TIG/TIS. We just had 2 NCO's from my shop go into the IRR this month and I looked on MOL and I have the highest cutting score of my MOS of LCPLs. :dunno:

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Things run quite differently in the reserves it seems.
    Are you talking about meeting the cutting score or going up for a promo board?

My biggest advice is when you get it, act the part and set that example for those under you.

There are too many lazy NCO's.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

:werd:

I've noticed so many new NCO's that pick up Cpl and just start skating out of everything. It's like the only incentive to pick up Cpl is you don't have to stand watch.

11. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Sadly, yes.

And then the PFC or LCpl watching it happen thinks that is the way to be when he picks up.

Its a crappy cycle and it pisses me off. I have to correct my Sgt's pretty often on stupid shit because my LCpl's and below see it and try doing the same thing.

Back to the original topic though.

Do all promo's in the reserves go as boards?

12. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I have already met the cutting score. Now I'm just trying to figure out how I go about getting promoted.

13. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I probably will show some amount of laziness to take advantage of the rank. I'll prevent myself from being lazy when it comes to showing the example of how to do something. Every now and then when I'm really not doing anything, I'll help em out with whatever, but I wouldn't want them to think that's how I'll always act.

Then again, I'm speaking about something that hasn't happened yet, so I don't know what the future will hold for my attitude.

:run:

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Then you should be able to check MOL a few days prior to the 1st and it should show your select grade on the right hand side.

15. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

This thread confuses the fuck out of me.

Promotions don't go by how many NCOs you have in your personal shop that do the same job as you. It goes by the entire Marine Reserves. That is the whole point of a cutting score since you have to deal with so many people.
    If you meet, or surpass the cutting score for your MOS, as soon as your command is ready (or aware for that matter) to promote you they'll do so. Just let your section head know (shop chief or whatever) and have them try to push it so they know you need to be promoted.

I cannot believe you don't know this and it seems like you've been in for a while with a 1700

16. EYOB

EYOB Guest

17. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm in an NCO billet, so I don't got to do watch :bigthumb:.

18. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

what billet?

19. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm the assault section leader in my MAP platoon. It's a billet normally held by a Sgt.

20. kidhero

i think your first year as NCO you have to be a complete asshole. my buddy picked up before i did and it was a 180 shift in personality when the uniform is on. by year 2 you mellow out and move into sgt mode. i need to pass my cutting score dammit.

21. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

dont be a complete douche but correct them when they need it

22. EYOB

EYOB Guest

:bowdown:

I checked MOL and I am now an E4 Select as of the first of this month.

I have Drill this weekend.
    I wonder if I'll get promoted soon, or if I have to wait a few months like I've heard happen with other Marines.

23. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I'm getting promoted Sunday.

Now I'll be the highest ranking member on OT. :eek5: