Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by el_gato_negro, May 30, 2004.

1. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

So what does this mean?

I have a PSX -> USB control pad adapter. It always worked fine with my old MB, and has worked a few times with the new one (Asus A7V8X-X). It has randomly "disconnected" itself...disappeared from the Device Manager I mean...but not while being used. Now it's just plain not working. :squint:

The machine:

XP 3000+ CPU
    512 MB PC3200
    Santa Cruz
    Nvidia GeForce 2 Ti
    etc.

Windows and all drivers are just about as updated as they get. Any ideas are appreciated. :)

2. Intuit

Intuit Guest

Possibilities:
    Short -- check the connectors and make sure that the controller still works with a PSX
    USB Port problems -- Do other devices that are connected to the USB port device have any issues... do CD-ROM drives suddenly reset themselves ? What motherboard do you have ? What USB card do you have ? Are there any filter drivers available for the mobo or USB card ? Is the USB Port turned-on in the BIOS ? Does the 5v line on your power-supply, supply an ample amount of power ? Check the WinXP Event Viewer... any related messages ? Is the USB Port hub still present in Device Manager ?

3. Intuit

Intuit Guest

Oh, about the "Code 10"... that usually means drivers aren't present or are installed wrong; or the device isn't working and has been disconnected. Try COMPLETELY removing all devices from the Device Manager.

Place this in your environment variables and reboot: "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES" = "1"

After reboot and under Device Manager, on the VIEW menu, select "Show Hidden Devices".

You may then remove all duplicate copies of the device. Remove the driver-files, power down and attempt to reinstall the device. That should do the trick; assuming that the device is in proper working order.

4. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Ah. Thanks, I'll give that a go. :)