WEB developing software for a multitouch display/headtracking. post up some ideas!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BoostedBoogie, Jan 12, 2008.

1. so me and a team of 3 other designers/developers will be developing some software, most likely based on flash, for a multitouch tabletop. it might be a coffee table or bartop, not sure yet. we may also develop some software for the new headtracking that johnny lee developed using the wii remote and some infrared LEDs. for an example of what it looks like, check out this link http://youtube.com/watch?v=PBrWANFzIXE not sure if both projects will be combined or not, depends on the concept itself.

but anyways, what type of things would you guys like to see developed, just for kicks? coming up with a solid concept for something like this was harder than i thought.

some ideas that came from brainstorming with my team:
    - interactive menu/ordering system for a bartop (either a carousel type where you can flick your wrist/fingers in order to browse through the menu) with an integrated payment system via PHP as well as interactive objects that react to drink/food placement on the table. maybe even a way to write down phone numbers of the people you meet which are forwarded to your email
    - interactive window shopping (integrated with the headtracking as well) where a user can look around inside a store through the window and choose items they like on the touchscreen, organize them into lists or checkout for payment.
    - virtual tours of various destinations (integrated with the headtracking) where you can take screenshots of the places you visit, check historical information and events and scout for local resturaunts/bars.

2. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Spin the bottle, you need to be on all sides of the table though. Unless you have like everyone set down their drink on the table and it knows where people are and just highlights the closest.

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Some kind of coordination game?
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/handeye
    FYI, this is actually one of those prank things that tries to scare you. When you are tracing the S it will end the game and try to scare you, but you get the idea.

4. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

Two player, or more, pacman.

Just think of beer-driven card games.

5. hm interesting idea of doing a game-table. since everything will most likely be flash-driven with actionscript 3, i don't see why we couldn't implement multiple games in one table IE chess, pacman (multiplayer pacman would be pretty fun actually), hungry-hungry hippos, whatevs.

i'll definitely take that into consideration and post progress pics here in the next 10 weeks as i go along.

6. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

games/trivia, etc including games against other tables as say with a card game, you could probably see other players' cards unless it has tilted personal screens as well, but that's not a great idea unless recessed.. something like 6 person pong/table hockey would be crazy, but not sustainable with shit on the table :o

you're going to have to account for things being on the table often so you can't have say.. a half hour game if the screen takes up the table and there are going to be plates, etc on it most of the time.. either that or you'll have to do screens different

interactive seating chart allowing you to see other tables around and communicate with them.. allow feature to block harassing/unwelcome tables.. allow buying drink for hot chick at other table :naughtyd:

7. that is a great idea if we went the coffee table/bartop route. i'll def keep that in mind.

yeah we also had that whole drinks on top of the table factor in mind too. basically, the game plan would be that if you wanted to access certain menus, you would have to do quick taps or certain strokes with your fingers to get the menu to pop up, and if you don't and just place something on the table, it will be read as a "dead" object and the table will simply react to it however we like.

8. symptic

symptic I run companies

Tic-Tac-Toe, Checkers, Chess... small games people can play while at a bar or sitting at a table.

Google maps, or some other mapping system.

Book library for places like Starbucks and bookstores.

Jukebox for restaurants; tied into the central sound system.

A tabletop-friendly app/site to display videos. A YouTube for the tabletop essentially.

9. Zac

Zac New Member

10. well reasoning for flash is its the quickest and best way my team and i can develop an interactive interface/app. its like getting the concept working and functional and good enough for demonstration.

11. my team and i were discussing that earlier this week actually. it would be nice to setup a central jukebox system that has some sort of waiting list/queue.

12. symptic

symptic I run companies

:cool:

Also, table pool.