Developers thoughts on AJAX

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hsmith, May 4, 2006.

1. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I am rolling out a good bit of ajax in my application i am developing. A good bit of functionality relies heavily upon it.

But mainly, I am considering shifting the major portions of the site to use it. Like big data entry forms to be pure ajax based. So you can switch dates, ect and lack the postbacks to the server.

i am not worried about supporting older browsers, i say fuck those people.

2. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i am thinking of buying a book on ajax, i dont know if its really important to learn this or not

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I'd say keep an open mind to potential security flaws when writing Ajax applications.

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

everything is covered. i am using a commerical ajax package

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'm just wrapping up a project that I wrote that uses Ajax for practically everything -- it's something that is going to be used in closed environments so compatibility isn't a problem.

I used it mainly to give an application type feel rather than the cruddy look of a page refreshing and rebuilding itself. Though I think it increased my actual coding time by 30-35% mainly because instead of coding PHP and HTML I now had to code PHP, HTML & Javascript -- it was more work to make everything line up.

6. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

yeah it takes a bit longer.

some of the pages i am developing there is a lot of input and all, so page downloads can get quite large, so i am thinking dropping the input components into a ajax environment will allow me to use almost no postbacks for most input. i want the "feel" to carry throughout the entire application, so doing that will take awhile.

i like the benefits of it though, you can do a lot at once in one page with less hard postbacks

7. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I've been building all out ajax based applications for a little over a year now. I essentially developed a mapping framework with about 30k lines of JavaScript, all ajax based. From my experience, ajax is a very nice technology when used in the proper context. Atlas sure does make ajax easier for .NET developers but for me it's all about the proper application. Don't use ajax just to use ajax, use it because it really makes sense to not make a full post back.

8. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

meh, it is java based

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You realize that none of the most successful web applications using business models like yours are .NET based?

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

using a commercial ajax package? then you should probably 2x as aware.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Which security flaws do you mean, and why should he be twice as aware with a commercial package?

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Get all the core functionality of your application built, and THEN worry about snazzing it up with AJAX.

13. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Please, must I really go over the potential security flaws when developing web applications? I don't think so.

They should be more aware using a commercial Ajax application as they are prone to more targets. They will be the first to pop up on bugtraq rather than some guy who sat in his home writing custom software for his website. That, and if it was commercial software, it can be easily obtained in which you could analyze the source code for even more possible security flaws.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Okay, but as far as I'm aware, the only relevant security problems would be in form validation. And he's saying that his package does that for him. So... if you have something else to add, please do. Cause I still don't know what you mean. Have there been a slew of bugs having to do with other stuff involving XMLHttprequest?

15. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

it is what i know and it is what i could pump it out the fastest with.

16. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

it is almost completed, the first version will roll out 1/2 ajax, the next version most of the UI will be written using mostly ajax :hs:

quick response times is key, some of these pages are 80K+ and i only need to send small bits of data back and forth

17. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I have the source to the application, if i needed to make a quick patch i can. I prefer it, less code i have to develop.

All the security holes are covered, it still ensures the session is valid for the particular user, ect. same holes apply as with traditional web app programming

18. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

XMLHttpRequest is a danger itself alone. :o