Developers, feel my pain

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by red, Feb 10, 2009.

1. red

red New Member

I swear to god, next time someone asks me to fix an issue that has only been produced one time, on one machine, and was never seen again, I'm going to jump out the fucking window.

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

you don't use any version control/tracker software?

3. red

red New Member

Of course we do. My 'one machine' tirade was referring to something that some QA person has seen exactly one time on some random machine with an irreproducibly bizarre configuration.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

so, they can't replicate it at all? where would you even start with that?

5. red

red New Member

You'd start with trying to replicate it again. Hence my fucking frustration. I'm a developer, I don't have the attention span to run the same fucking test over and over all goddamn day.

I used to complain when it was too busy, but now that we're at the tail end of getting a release out the door, and the produce I usually work on has been finished for weeks, I'm ending up with crap like this to do. Hunting down ghosts in other products.

6. boosted420

boosted420 New Member

Consider it an ID10T error and move on.

7. red

red New Member

My boss just resigned, the new dev manager is on vacation, there's almost no work to do right now, and I'm planning on leaving in a few months. There really isn't a lot to move on to.

Just bored.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Just make whatever area of code that could have come from more robust in its error/exception handling, and say its fixed. Don't look for it if QA can't reproduce it. How are they to know you DIDN'T fix it if you say you did and they can't reproduce it?

;)

Having been on both sides of the QA/Developer battle... I can say that this is the best I could possibly have hoped for as a QA guy. In fact it was the expected behavior, but it never happened.

9. red

red New Member

Yeah, that's what I end up doing. Previous issue was some bizzaro "can only be produced with 4 clients from 2 different machines touching the same server, which is touching 2 other servers" bullshit setup. I ended up adding a mutex that should've been there anyway and calling it a day.

I keep getting all these tickets from the same QA chick. I'm convinced her machine is just dicked up beyond belief. This last one she said, "Oh, I rebooted the machine and it never happened again. I realized the machine hadn't been rebooted in a couple of weeks." Granted, MySQL shouldn't start barfing if you don't reboot your machine regularly, but god knows what else she's doing to that thing (I mean, besides generating 3,000 line SQL statements).

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Get her on a clean setup if it makes your life easier. You got to be proactive to make the relationship work. Hostile sucks.

11. red

red New Member

Oooh, company politics would not allow me to dictate to QA what their test machines should look like. And she's been here longer than me, anyway.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Well, if you offer to help her do a clean setup... you don't think she'd appreciate that? There's a right way to go about it.

13. red

red New Member

No, she'd assume I was telling her she didn't know how to do it. The truth is, she knows the software better than I do (there are literally about 20 different components to this suite, I'm only familiar with a handful). But I can tell that her standard testing setup is fucking bizarre. The counterargument would be - her testing setup is viable, so it should work.

14. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Yeah, I once spent half a day tracking down why one person in our "backroom" test group told me he couldn't copy files to his flash stick (this is on an embedded platfrom, so I wrote the USB functions that talk to the Vinculum VNC1L USB host controller to accomplish this)... turns out his disk was full...

15. red

red New Member

That's... a pretty easy problem to diagnose. I'm not talking about dumb people with facepalm problems. I'm talking about chasing down non-reproducible bugs.

16. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Don't jump....throw the person that asked out the window.

17. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I don't think you understand... I had no idea the disk he used was full, and I assumed it WAS an actual problem, an isolated problem that only manifested itself that one time for that one person and I could not reproduce it.

So you see, I am also talking about chasing down non-reproducible bugs. I was chasing a wild goose, due to someone elses incompetence.

I have also found a problem with the compiler we are using, where the machine code generated did not match the C code according to ANSI C99 standards. That was hard to diagnose, and it wasn't until I exhausted every other possibility that I even though to look at the compiled machine code. I submitted the problem to TI via email and they only replied with a generic "thank you for bringing this to our attention" type message

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

but you never stopped to verify that the disk wasn't full.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Dude, did you just discover the miracle of open source? When a vendor tells you to get fucked, you go an fix the underlying problem yourself... if you have the source :) It doesn't happen often, but when it happens you thank your lucky stars for FOSS and you fix your issue and move on, swearing to remove proprietary closed source software from your projects whenever possible.