developer contract/side work

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bpa00, Dec 16, 2008.

1. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

What are some good places online to find software development contract work?? I've been a professional developer for 10+ years, and am very well versed in many technologies.

My current company is going to a 4 day work week, but forcing us to also take a 10% pay cut. I figure it would be better to pick up some side work on my extra day off, than to just sleep in and play video games all day...

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Just inform everyone you know that you are looking for contract work, use social networks, and check the relevant job boards for all your languages/skills. Its just like finding a job normally - get yourself out there. Its a numbers game.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

I have stayed away from RentACoder.com and those types of sites, but some people swear by them. I've actually had some pretty good luck with CraigsList.com locally. There are a lot of small businesses out there looking for a quick solution, web presence, or just temporary help. Honestly, the best kind of business to get is by word of mouth, but you have to start somewhere

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Fuck a rentacoder. The language-specific boards are where its at. They want westerners at least.

5. nickelleon

nickelleon not nickelodeon

I see a lot of work on craigslist. I also started hunting for work at getafreelancer.com. I realized after a few lost projects that the fucking Indians were undercutting me by like 50%. They really do work for $2 / day.

Id stick with craigslist before going to getafreelancer.com or scriptlance.com or whatever.