Determining video card setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2xPutt, Mar 26, 2010.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

sorry for the noob question, but how would I go about finding out what video card type my computer uses? all I know is the computer is a Dell Inspiron 518. I knew what it was a long time ago, (i.e. PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0 and how many pin(?)) but now I'm completely lost. I'm not looking to get a top of the line model, I just need one to run Counter-Strike Source (and all the source games) and fits inside this small tower. the last one i purchased was too big to fit into the tower :hs: thanks for any help

2. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

according to a quick google search it is pci express x16

so you can get any pci express card that will fit in the case.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

4. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

thank you, I was gonna search google, but my searching skills suck. just search for Inspiron 518 video card slot or something of that nature?

my budget isn't too high, I am looking for $100 give or take $50. I don't need anything too baller, I just need something to run counter-strike source and source games.

the computer did not come with a video card, I believe it was an option, but at the time I was saving money on the build and didn't get the optional card, I only have the integrated video card, no add-ons

5. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

also, I think the card was too long not 'big', but it's been so long. I just searched for "pci express x16" on dell.com and I came up with a couple that say low-profile, would that be what I'm looking for with the smaller towers?

and sorry to keep adding questions to the original topic, but what is the new hotness in videocards? would 256MB be enough? is Radeon good? like I said, it's been so long since i've been in the video card game. :o

6. Chris

Chris New Member

Do you have a standard tower size computer or a small form factor?

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

You can get a 4870 for around $100, I used to have 2 in SLI but even with only one I didn't have any trouble in any modern games at greater than HD resolutions.

8. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

You need to figure out the form factor of your case. If you have the small form factor definitely get a "slim" model card. Is it a full size desktop or a slim desktop?

9. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

also dont order that shit from dell I'm sure they put lots of markup on parts

use http://www.newegg.com