Determining DD-WRT TX power?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kdrweez, Feb 10, 2010.

1. kdrweez

kdrweez New Member

I just set up DD-WRT on my new WRT320N (thanks to those who suggested it). I got an antenna kit and a big heatsink/fan and it works GREAT. Friends have already said that my wifi seems WAY better than with my DIR-655.

Anywho, I'm fairly familiar with DD-WRT, but I want to pick the best TX power. I hear it's about balancing signal and noise to get the best throughput, basically. Is there a QUICK and accurate way to figure this out? I don't really want to copy files back and forth in 1mW increments...

Thanks!

2. kdrweez

kdrweez New Member

Btw...here's what I'm seeing now:

[​IMG]

3. Chris

Chris New Member

Wow, Ok, so no one will realize this but I spent like 10 mins typing out a good response for you, but I accidentially lost it because I clicked out of the text box and then hit backspace which went back a page, yadda yadda.

Anyway to summarize what I had typed, there is no hard and fast rule about what setting to use. It depends on your hardware, what kind of range/throughput you are trying to achieve and the environmental factors of your location (walls, ect.).

So your best bet is to either leave it on default or just use trial and error to see what you can achieve. Keep in mind more power is going to result in more heat and power consumption.

And just FYI, I don't know what kind of router you have, but I can see you are running at double the power I am, I am only running at like 75 mW with a stock Buffalo WHR-G125.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

heres mine:
    [​IMG]

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

why not start with ~30mW increments, then drop down to ~10? that will get you pretty damn close. Also it is better to go with a better antenna if your signal is weak as you also get better receive strength - but i'm not saying that power level adjustments aren't useful.

I have my house covered with two high gain wide angle panel shaped antennas and run the ap at 11mW which was a rough calculation based on the legal transmit power here. I turned the power up to 20 mW as a test and sure enough the quality indicators on the router and laptop went down.

6. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

on the wiki, don't they give you the optimal TX power for each router/model?

*EDIT* this is close

"How high should I set the transmit power on my router?

Somewhere around 84 mW is considered to be the best setting for maximum power with minimum noise for most hardware. The Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 has a built-in amplifier. The amplifier is turned on by default; the radio power should not be set above 10mW (on v23SP2), or 70mW (on v24). The forums have had discussions about what power level is safe, with little consensus. Use common sense and don't set the power higher than you really need to. If you're trying to get more range, consider using a different antenna and make sure you have a clear line of sight, two of the most critical factors in your router's range.
    From a network security standpoint, the transmitter power level should be just enough to cover the intended area reliably. Optimal power settings can be determined by trial-and-error."

source: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#How_high_should_I_set_the_transmit_power_on_my_router.3F

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ours at work, were are all within about 50-100 feet away
    [​IMG]