Detailing Product List

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jackhole, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

HARD SUPPLIES

- Wet/Dry Vacuum (>1.5 HP) w/ an assortment of nozzles and a thin crevice tool
    - Bucket
    - Spray nozzle
    - Microfiber-covered or foam wash pads
    - Wheel brush, thin brush for tight areas, interior brush w/ soft bristles
    - Terrycloth towels (Drying/Applying Polishes)
    - Microfiber towels (buffing, drying)
    - Foam applicators (Glazes, waxes)
    - California Car Duster
    - Q-Tips (Cleaning Vents)

CLAY BARS
    Detailing clay is used to remove embedded dirt, grime, overspray, etc from the paint without the use of abrasives. If after washing and waxing, you run your hand over the paint and it has a gritty feel, you need to use a clay bar. Clay Magic and ClearKote make good systems, and they come with everything you need except a towel to dry the paint after claying. Just follow the package directions and wax after finishing. Your paint will be super slick and smooth like glass.

CLEANERS/COMPOUNDS and SWIRL REMOVERS

Cleaners and compounds are made to remove serious paint defects, like oxidation, scratches, etc. and swirl removers are used to smooth the surface after using a cleaner/compound and to remove any swirl or scratch marks made by the cleaner/compound. Always start with the lightest cleaner or compound, and use a stronger one only when necessary. Recommended are the following:

Meguiars #105 (compound), #205 (mid-grade polish), #80-mild polish which gives new paint safe protection (won't inhibit curing). Optimum Compound II, Optimum Polish II.

Both Meguiars #205 and Optimum Finish with a finishing pad (on harder paints) will leave a hologram free finish via rotary. 3M Ultrafine Machine Polish (aka Ultrafina) and the blue Ultrafina pad via rotary will leave a hologram free finish on all paints-but remember, either method is only effective on LIGHT holograms. If you compound via rotary, you will most likely need to use a mid level product like Optimum Polish II or #205 using a polishing pad.

POLISHES and GLAZES

Polishes and glazes are used to add oils to the paint for more shine and smooth the surface for more reflection.

ClearKote's (http://www.clearkote.net) Vanilla Moose will add shine and clarity to the paint surface, but will not remove serious paint defects - that is not it's purpose. Another good polish choice would be Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba. This is a polish with a wax as well, a "one-step" solution for quick jobs.

SEALANTS

Sealants are a step after a polish/glaze but before a wax topper. A sealant will typically last longer than a wax, while a wax will ensure a glossy, protective finish. If you're detailing a car that will be waxed religiously every ~3 months, a sealant is not necessarily needed. Good sealants are:

- Poorboy's EX-P Sealant
    - Optimum Opti-Seal
    - Platinum's Ultimate Paint Protection
    - Wolfgang

Best results (visually) come from a sealant topped with a carnauba-based wax. However, to add more of the sealant, you need to polish off or otherwise strip the wax first. Personally, I tend to not top sealants and just go with carnaubas on colors like solid red or black. On metallics though, Opti-Seal looks amazing and doesn't need any topper.

WAXES
    Waxes are primarily to seal and protect the paint. They will add some shine, but not as much as a polish will. The following waxes are recommended:

- ClearKote's Carnauba Moose Wax
    - P21S' S100 (available at your local Harley-Davidson shop)
    - Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax (great if you're looking for something locally available)
    - Meguiar's #16 Wax
    - Pinnacle Souveran (Expensive, but impressive!)

SPRAY DETAILERS

These are used to clean your car when it is only dusty (after dusting with your car duster), or after washing or waxing to make sure no residue is left on the paint. Meguiar's Final Inspection, Optimum Instant Detailer or ClearKote's Quik Shine are good products.

GLASS CLEANERS

Clearkote's Quikshine is an excellent glass cleaner that gives a long lasting RainX effect. Meguiars NXT Glass cleaner is pretty good as well with a similar beading effect. You can also mix Optimum No Rinse at QD strength (6 oz per gallon) and then add an ounce of denatured alcohol to make your own glass cleaner.

INTERIOR CLEANERS

Woolite - yes, the same Woolite used to gently wash sweaters and stuff like that. Mix it in a spray bottle at 6 parts water and 1 part Woolite. Spray liberally on the surface, use a small plastic brush, scrub the surface and dry with a cloth towel. It works great on all fabrics, carpets, vinyl and yes, leather - in fact, it will leave the leather very soft after using.

VINYL, RUBBER and LEATHER DRESSINGS

Vinyl and rubber can use the same products; Optimum Protectant Plus, 303 Aerospace Protectant, Armor All - I would discourage using the real shiny and greasy stuff on the interior - it attracts dust and makes the sun reflect the dash into the windshield while driving towards the sun.

For leather, use a dedicated leather conditioner, like Leather Master's Leather Vital, Meguairs Gold Class for Leather, Tanner's Preserves, Lexol or Eagle One's leather conditioner. For tires, use Armor All or ClearKote's Tire Treatment.

ENGINE CLEANING

1. Make sure engine is warm, but not hot. Cold engines are harder to remove grease and oil from.

** Check the directions on the engine cleaner/degreaser you are using, though. Some specifically say to clean the engine when cold only. **

2. Cover your distributor (if you do not know what or where it is, get a manual for your car), alternator and fuse box. Most electronics under your hood are adequately sealed for rain water splashing up on them, but high pressure water is another story.

3. Spray Greased Lightning's Orange Blast liberally all over your engine and engine bay. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. If your engine is really dirty, then after the 5 minutes, spray it down again and wait an additional 5 minutes.

4. Spray the engine and engine bay with high pressure rinse water - but even though your distributor may be covered, still use lower pressure around it to be on the safe side.

5. Any remaining grime, spray again with Orange Blast, and use a stiff brush if needed. Rinse again.

6. Remove the plastic coverings and start the engine. Let it run until it is dry. You will have to dry the painted surfaces in the engine bay and the underside of the hood with a towel.

7. Dress any hoses, etc. you want with rubber/vinyl dressing.

BUFFERS

If you're interested in using a buffer, both the Porter Cable 7336 and 7424 are good choices. You need to make sure you have the proper counterweight and backing plates, plus at least one cutting pad, one polishing pad and a finishing pad. The Autopia store has a nice set up for about $200 regular price.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pc-7424-kit.html

The new Porter Cable 7424x is now available. More powerful motor (4.5 amp vs 3.7 amp) and 6800 OPM vs 6000 OPM. The Flex 3401 is even more powerful and operates as high as 9000 OPM with a fixed rotation of 450 rpms.

With the new Meguiars polishes and 3M Ultrafina, with a bit of practice, most anyone who has used a DA buffer like the Porter Cable can finish out hologram free with a rotary. Most new cars have pretty hard paint and you either need to use a Flex 3401 or a rotary to get the most swirl free results.

MISCELLANEOUS

When using Meguiar's products, only use the Mirror Glaze or Pro Body Shop lines, not the burgundy bottle stuff like the Deep Crystal system or Cleaner Wax. They are for the casual user, not someone who wants the ultimate in shine.

You do not have to glob on a bunch of wax or polish - a blob the size of a quarter should be enough to cover your entire hood - a 16 oz. bottle of wax is enough to wax your car at least 30 times - use just enough to lightly cover the surface of the paint.

When using a polish or glaze, rub into the paint until it looks almost clear, and let sit for 20-30 minutes so the oils can soak in and it is easier to remove.

Do not waste your money on any wax that claims to have Teflon® in it. Unless you are able to apply the wax at 600+ degrees, the Teflon is not a viable ingredient - and this is straight from DuPont.

Good luck and always remember to post pics!!! :big grin:

- Scottwax and Jackhole

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Nice job, EMT! Thanks for combining all three threads. I'm going to unsticky product list and engine cleaning threads now that we have a nice clean new thread.

3. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

why is this NOT a sticky, good job, just used the woolite trick to clean up my bedroom :big grin:

4. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

id recommend stoners over eagle 20/20..just is easier to apply and comes off better and doesnt run like this sentence :o

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I use both. I use IG inside, and 20/20 on the outside :hs:

6. a red heart

a red heart Guest

loving this thread

7. Scottwax

BTW, I do have a buffer recommendation, either a Porter Cable 7336 of 7424. Since they are random orbital buffers (but way more heavy duty than what you can find at Pep Boys), they mimic your hand movement but at a higher speed so you can much more quickly remove light to moderate surface defects, provided you use the proper product and pad.

You need to make sure you have the proper counterweight and backing plates, plus at least one cutting pad, one polishing pad and a finishing pad. The Autopia store has a nice set up for about $200 regular price (on sale right now for $179.99).

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pc-7424-kit.html

8. a red heart

a red heart Guest

not a bad price!! also check out coastal tool where I got mine. Its 120 with the 6" disk and counter weight. Then get your Lake Country pads at topoftheline

9. Chopstick80

Chopstick80 New Member

Can you guys explain the different pads to me please? That PC-7424 kit comes with 3 different pads. What I want to do with the buffer is basically just to remove the wax or polish. I like applying the wax/polish on by hand, but I would like to take it off with a buffer. If I bought that buffer, would I use to Grey Pad to remove the wax/polish? Thank You.

10. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

I do the opposite- apply by PC and remove by hand (using microfiber towels)

Colors aren't consistent among pad manufacturers... I'm assuming you have a yellow, white, and grey pad? Yellow is generally used for cutting/paint leveling (for use w/ a compound or sometimes a swirl remover), white is generally used for polishing (for use w/ a swirl remover or glaze) and grey is generally used for finishing (for use with a fine polish or liquid wax)

As for removing w/ a PC, I believe you need some sort of bonnet to go over the pad. Why do you want to remove by PC anyways? If removing a product is too difficult, it might be a sign that you are applying too much product to the paint.

11. Chopstick80

Chopstick80 New Member

Well, yes one reason I would like to remove with the buffer is because it's a pain in the butt to remove the product by hand. My arm gets tired. You are probably right about me applying to much product, but I also think after going over 3 times gets tiring as well. I just thought removing it with the buffer would help with that.

As for applying it with a buffer, do you not get white residue on edges and in cracks(emblems) when using wax? That's why I like applying it by hand. I can apply it exactly right where I want it to go. Hate spending time trying to pick out the white residue from the cracks. Though I'm new to some of the products mentioned on this site, but I'm going to try them. I'm planning on getting some Vanilla Moose and Carnuba Moose.

12. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Oh man this is going to be difficult because I'm too lazy to get up and look:

Porter Cable 7424*
    2 gray pads*
    2 white pads*
    2 yellow pads (all TOL)*
    Megs DACP*
    Megs Final Inspection
    Megs #9 Swirl Mark Remover*
    Megs Endurance High Gloss tire treatment*
    NXT Wash*
    NXT Wax
    QEW*
    Eagle One Cleaner wax
    Eagle One Spray As You Wax (I heart this stuff)*
    Gunk Foaming Engine Cleaner (hardly used)
    2 Viper Microfibers
    5 odd-job walmart concordia microfibers
    Pakshak microfibers:*
    3 - 16'' x 16'' Ultra - Micro Fiber Towels
    1 - 24'' x 24'' Ultra - Micro Fiber Towel
    1 - 16'' x 24'' Ultra-Fine - Micro Fiber Towel
    1 - 25'' x 36'' Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel
    1 - 6.5'' x 9.5'' Ultra - Micro Fiber Mitt
    3 - Yellow Wax/Polish Foam Applicator Pads
    Blackfire kit:*
    Wash
    Polish
    Sealant
    Liquid Souveran*
    ZEP Carpet Cleaner
    Vynilex
    3M Perfect-It II Fine cut rubbing compound*
    Castrol Accuvision window treatment
    EagleOne 20/20 window cleaer*
    Fantastik Oxipower general purpose cleaner
    Claymagic clay bar (blue)*

I'm probably forgetting a few things.

Products that are starred are ones that I liked (above average).

13. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

If you are polishing then you definitely want to apply it with a Porter Cable as well. You could even use a cleaner/wax and get some good results by working it a little more then you would or could by hand. :)

14. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

his acct got hacked.

15. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:sad2: Think we can get Scott to edit his posts in here?

16. Section8

Section8 .

Damn it, I should have come in here before I bought my stuff. I bought the Meguires stuff in the burgandy bottles that you say are for casual users. I need to find a shop that sells the mirror glaze stuff.

And damn whoever posted the goatse guy, I'm at work too!

17. Scottwax

You could have pm-ed me about it. I thought I got them all last night.

18. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Sorry, I thought you were on top of it. No biggie, though.

19. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

What's the diff between the 7336 and 7424 PC models?

I just picked up a 7336 at Lowes for under $110 with sanding heads and the white foam polishing pad.

Impulse buying owns me.

20. perry

perry burp

They're the same machine, different accessories.. The 7424 comes with a 5" counterweight, the 7336 comes w/ a 6" counterweight.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/...ny.htm?L+coastest+rstf2125ffbc0bbc+1086879529

21. Scottwax

I might snag me a 7336 also then and order a 6" counterweight for my 7424 so I have 2 PCs (when my kids are here for the summer and work with me or when I hire help, or when mine needs servicing I don't want to be without).

Contemplating a rotary or Cyclo next.

22. perry

perry burp

The 7424 at Coastal Tool comes with a 6" Hook & Loop Contour Pad #18002 and 6" Counterweight, as well as the 5" counterweight from PC in the box. But I guess that'd still leave you with just one 6" counterweight :dunno: Coastal Tool sells the counterweight for $1.95...

23. DeleriuM

DeleriuM New Member

excellent thread!
    Im gonna do a full detail of my newly purchased 99 maxima using this thread :coold:

24. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

What do you guys think of Meguiars #26 Hi-TechYellow Paste Wax? I didn't see anything in the sticky. Sorry if it's been asked before.

25. Scottwax

I think that covers it since #26 is from the Mirror Glaze line. BTW, there is a Meguiars pro products distributor in Dallas called Wash Solutions off Walnut Hill and Ables @ 2403 Walnut Ridge and their number is 214 904-1800. They carry the full line of Meguiars Mirror Glaze, Body Shop Pro and Detailer lines. www.wash-solutions.com

BTW, the address they show on their site is their old address. The one in this thread is their current address.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004