Detailing Metallic Black Jaguar...Recommended Products?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by BitchThatEatsOnions, Dec 7, 2005.

1. BitchThatEatsOnions

BitchThatEatsOnions New Member

I have been 3M's polishing system with a PC and it does get to the level of shine that I like. I have been using NXT topped with S100 but I am not thrilled with the longevity (4 weeks!?). I would like to try some new products just for something different. Any recommendations?

The car is a 1998 Jaguar XJR in obsidian black...basically black with very fine gold pearl in it. Thanks!

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The Werstatt twins would look excellent. Prime and Acrylic Jett. Definitely more durable than S100.

www.jeffswerkstatt.com

3. figment

figment New Member

is the prime a polish?

4. Scottwax

Yes, a very light polish plus it lays down a protective acrylic base that Acrylic Jett is able to reinforce and add even more wetness and gloss.

If you have swirls to remove, I'd suggest using Optimum Polish.

5. figment

figment New Member

sorry for the hijack.

i have a 04 GT mustang, its dark shadow grey (dark metallic grey) the paint looks perfect when looking directly at it but when looking across it has micro fine scratches. not really swirls. i just got a pc so i need something to get rid of those scratches. i loved the way the benz looked with the AJ

6. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

Scottwax is beginning to sound like JeffWerkstatt's new poster boy. seriously, between here and autopia, it seems like their paying you to do this shit. :mamoru: :love:

but, from experience (and from Scott's own recommendation) i'd recommend Meg's #16 if you can get your hands on it. It's a kickass wax and lasts hella long for me.

7. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

don't be sorry. just don't do it. start your own thread.

8. Scottwax

Wait...don't forget Optimum, Clearkote, Poorboy's, Meguiars and a few others. If it works, I will be all for it. I wish I got paid, sure would help me out when it is 17 with a windchill of 1 here in Dallas and I can't work. :(

If he had said it was a non-metallic black, I would have recommended using Vanilla Moose or Red Machine Glaze and either Carnauba Moose or Poorboy's EX w/carnauba instead.

Getting hard to find but Collinite 845 Insulator Wax will give a similar look (maybe a bit more wet) and even a bit better durability.

9. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

thats pretty much how it is here from novemeber till april

10. Scottwax

That is why I live down here instead of up there. If I wasn't so well established, I'd move back to Phoenix and even there, the winters are too cold for my tastes.

11. Pats300zx

Pats300zx New Member

Dont feel bad Scott. We just got 4 more inches of snow today in Pa. I was actually hoping to detail one of my cars this weekend. :wtc:

12. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

I noticed that all of your pictures always are from sunny days, up here, we get maybe one or two a week :rofl:

13. Scottwax

It was 20 when I started today, didn't get much above 40. I didn't finish until 8 PM because all the cars were just trashed by that sand they put down and cold air doesn't lend itself to quick drying either.

I'm liable to really hurt the first person next summer that says to me "I bet you can hardly wait until it cools off". [​IMG]