Detailing Company

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by TheHeadGuy, Apr 6, 2005.

1. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

What do you guys think about starting a auto detailing company? It seems like a business that doesnt cost much to start.. just a truck, equipment, and material. Do you need a license? What is a good place to start and learn more about it?

2. Auream

Auream New Member

I'd ask ScottWax in the "That'll Buff Right Out" forum. I believe he runs his own mobile detailing business and is pretty successful. I'd think that the biggest issue is that you have to be willing to do some serious manual labor if you want to really do a good job in the business.

3. bottomline

bottomline Guest

You obviously need a business license...

as well as scott, ask gandibrokemyskates

4. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

Yea, i've been in the show and shine section and saw Scottwax postings but he seems like a very busy guy who doesnt like to be bothered. How much does licensing cost and where can i get it? I have about $2000 startup cost and want to do it right. I might do some friends and families vehicles for free to get some experience and good reference.

5. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

I suggest you incorporate, which involves writing up articles of incorporation and submitting them to the secretary of state's office for your state. Register your business name with the secretary of state and your local county/city offices. Look into getting insurance incase something catastrophic happens. Then start printing flyers and pounding the pavement and drumming up business and go to work.

6. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

I suggest working at a carwash for a while to get some experience. I am just a highschool kid making 5.15 an hour plus about another 10-20 dollars in tips an hour. You get money and experience.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Not exactly. I don't liked to be PMed like I am everyone's personal detailing guru. I prefer questions be asked in the detailing forum and just PM me the link if you want to make sure I see it. That way I answer it one time.

It depends on your state what type of licensing (if any) you need. In Texas, all I needed to to was register my company name or DBA since I am a sole proprietor. No specific license is needed. You need to check to see if you are required to collect sales tax. I would also strongly suggest looking into a insurance policy as well. You can probably get a business rider with your homeowners or car insurance rep. Definitely shop around.

DO NOT work at a car wash or dealership to get experience. Most of them take huge shortcuts to move as many cars through as possible each day. You don't want to get involved in detailing for tote the note car lots either unless you like busting your ass cleaning trashed auction cars for $60.

Do not try to compete on price. Low price is low quality in the minds of owners of high end cars. If they are willing to pay $50,000+ for a car, they aren't worried about getting a detail $10 cheaper. When you have low prices, you get price shoppers with trashed cars and they will nit pick every single thing you do...and as soon as someone cheaper comes along they don't come back.

I highly recommend you read through the professional detailing forum at http://autopia.org There are a lot of quality threads in there.

8. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

I have been self-employed now for over 15 years and I'm not that educated specially in buz and I find it hard without buz knowledge. Buz knowledge I would highly recommend anyone that has a buz EVEN A SMALL BUZ. Sample I have a friend that started a computer store, he went to collage and took a course in buz he is vary successful and me I'm still running round with my head cut off.

There is a lot of help for people that are self-employed here is a few

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/

http://www.loc.gov/rr/business/

http://www.sba.gov/

Hard work these days more in likely won't get you no where if you don't have the knowledge to run your buz

You can have all the enthusiasm in the world without knowledge to run your buz you will run your self in the ground. Most small buz's fail because they are lacking knowledge to run a buz

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

10. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

biz buz = business

well back to work with me, working on a small sports car & I'm 6"3, I hate bending over --- take care

11. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

I detail on the weekends & even having everything i need -pressure washer,-waterhoses,- leafblower ive spent almost 3k on products, towels, bottles, and one thing your always going to have to keep buying is pads. I think the owner should know or at least be the brains of the Operation. If a customer ask let me speak to the boss and the detailer tells you whats going on you sure as hell cant fix it, how would that make you look. I love detailing & the thought of owning a mobile business is in my mind but i have this fear of letting someone else do the work for me which they may or maynot be able to do. Its the same as hiring a helper, i havent come across anyone in SA that knows what theyre doing other than Anthony & Ron theyre great guys. But other than that all the other competitors ive come across cut corners bigtime!!!.

12. momentum

momentum CAN'T STOP THIS SON!

i started my detailing company about 2 months ago,all i can say is that it wont be easy to get a customer base going.word of mouth and referrals are key to this business. :wavey: