Detailed my WRX again. Pics!!!!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dan avoN7, Nov 6, 2005.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Well the last time I detailed my car was in July and it needed some work. The paint held up really well within this time period but started to show some swirls. I once used a really crappy towel to wash my car at a friends place and this was a big mistake as this put in most of the minor scratches. Picked up some new opt. polish that scott recommend and this stuff is great. I haven't looked in direct sun light as the weather is pretty bad but so far I can't see a single swirl or scratch in the paint.

Steps used today
    wash
    DACP applied with PC
    Opt. Polish applied with PC
    Vanilla Moose Glaze applied with PC
    EX-P applied with PC
    S100 by hand

DACP was pretty hard to get off this time, at first I thought I was using too much product but even with less I seemed to have a harder time getting it off than last. Possible my pad was somewhat caked and wasnt working the product in that well. Opt polish was great, went on easy and came off easy. Vanilla moose was the same as always, goes on very easy and comes off easier and also smells great :mamoru: EX-P I applied at speed 4 and just wanted to make sure i got it everywhere, I let it sit for about 30 min then wiped off. I am very happy with the detail, I will get more pictures tommorow if the sun is out. I think I did a better job than last time, I just hate seeing the front end becasue there are so many rock chips and my lip is somewhat scrapped on the side.

Also as always a big thanks to Scott for all the help and suggestions on which products to use. And www.exceldetail.com for the products, great detail store and would recommend everyone to check out their site!!

Sry for pics that aren't in direct lighting, pretty gloomy day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Woppin Wild

Woppin Wild OT Supporter

Very nice car dude. Looks like it came out really well.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Damn! :eek3:

The paint looks terrific! I might have made the suggestions and Patrick got the products to you but in the end, you are the one who put in the hard work. :)

4. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Well said Scott.....That looks very wet....Nice work Dan !
    Are you going to hang on to 83 ???:naughty:

5. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Nicely done.

6. quamen

quamen New Member

ur wasting to much time in doing that. ur using dacp as a cutter and polish, when opt does the same thing but is meant to be broken down my rotary around 1400 rpm. the vm is hiding swirls which are removed from the opt, and after the first wash will WASH away onto the ground. then i would have chosen eithr the ex or the s100 and called it a day. www.richsmad.com

7. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

I was under the impression that DACP was more aggressive and to be used before Opt to take out the more deep swirls. If not then hell I'm all for saving time as the DACP and Opt. both take a pretty long time (I first pad around the area to get the product out, then go on speed 4 left and right slow, speed 5 up and down over the area, speed 6 left and right) I really tried to get every area and break the product down as much as I could. Would you recommend another product after the opt. polish to in before the sealant or is nothing really required. Whenever I apply the vanilla moose I do it very quickly and the paint usually feels super smooth after, but i guess this is just a mask over the paint.

I'm always open to new suggestions since I'm new to this :) The performance parts are easy for me, paint I need to learn more about :mamoru:

8. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

Good job on the detail!

Here is a STI that I do regularly. I like driving his car, it is teh fun!
    [​IMG]

9. Masta Z

Masta Z FUCK BOSTON

holy shit that looks good

10. iCe

iCe Active Member

11. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

:eek3: this is why I want a black car :o :noes:

12. quamen

quamen New Member

looks good in the shadow and not in sunlight, sunlight it will not look nearly as good.

13. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

So if opt removed them how is VM hiding them?

14. Scottwax

How do you know? Any why are you being so critical? If this is your idea of helping in this forum, don't bother.

15. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

well I did appreciate the help and am always open to comments but I really don't get this one..... Yes I am just starting to get in to detailing and am always open to try new products and suggestions but this makes no sense at all considering you haven't seen the car in person. This last detail I did on the car removed all swirls and in the last day we have actually had some sunlight in the bay area. Still I'm not seeing any swirls even after giving it a wash once.

16. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

here is a picture with the flash on after the detail. this is pretty bright light hitting the car, dont see any swirls here. just the sparkle of the midnight black pearl...

[​IMG]

17. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

was test fitting some new wheels on my car for work so i snapped a few pictures. best I could do with lighting as the sun was already starting to go down when we got the tires on the wheels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

i think it looks good. I dont see where your wasting your time using DACP then OPT. that is the point of polishing so i think your on the right track. It would be the same as going Menzerna IP/FPII then seal.

Good work.

P.S. I dont know how VM will hide swirls that are being removed by something like DACP & OCP :confused:

19. Scottwax

:werd:

:wavey: Haven't seen you in a while, Jay. How've you been?

20. NEGROTIATOR

NEGROTIATOR New Member

Dude, those wheels look hawt. What happened to your bumper with the scrapes and whatnot ?

21. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ive found that useing OP with a cutting pad as the first stage usually does really good. Then follow it up with some SR2.0, or #80 depending on teh look im going for, and finishing it off with VM is one of the best combos for Subaru paint.

I find that the SR2.0 makes the better mid polish in most instances. But it does take a little longer to work.

Then top with EX.

I can post some pics of my friends white Forester XT if you would like some examples.

22. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

My friend and I traded bumpers awhile back when I bought his intercooler from him and the lip was already on his bumper. He scraped the front of it on a curb so thats where the big scratch comes from. I've been meaning to re-spray it one of these days as it looks pretty bad.

23. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Perfect, couldnt agree more.........

24. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

VM doesn't hide swirls, it removes them. I have tested this many times with a 50/50 IPA/water wipedown.

25. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

VM, can hide small imperfections in the paint. It is also a very light abrasive, and capable of filling very small spiderwebbing, as a glaze.....