Detailed: Dodge Grand Caravan

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 91RS, Apr 27, 2008.

1. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

This was really fun, and I was kinda pissed that my Autogeek order (placed last Sunday) hasn't shown up yet. She has 3 kids and this interior was NASTY. Most of the stains I couldn't do hardly anything about because they were set in for too long, but she was still impressed that I got it as clean as I did. I didn't get too many before pictures, but she said the van isn't washed very often and it goes through an automatic car wash when it does get washed. They were so impressed, her husband wants me to come back and do the outside of his truck.

Here's what I did:

Wheels and tires got sprayed with orange degreaser a few times and scrubbed twice to get all the brake dust off. The wheel wells got scrubbed once, and the engine just got sprayed with the degreaser and pressure washed. All were sprayed with tire shine, I was going to use Meg's Hyper Dressing if my order had come. I also ran the engine for a while as Justin does, and it worked out really well.

The rest of the car was washed with Meg's NXT soap.

The interior got vacuumed twice and I used Woolite & water 50/50 on all the stains and all the panels. The "fresher" stains came out no problem but the really set in stains didn't come all the way out. I use 303 Aerospace protectant on the dash and Eagle One 20/20 glass cleaner on all the glass.

I used Meg's Plastic Polish on the all the lenses, it turned out great on the taillights but wetsanding is the only thing that might help the headlights and 3rd brake light.

For paint correction I used Meg's #83 on an orange light cutting pad on the Porter Cable. This stuff did a great job, but it was a pain to get it off.

For paint protection I used Clearkote's Carnauba Moose Wax on a blue finessing pad. I must say, I really love Clearkote's products on darker colors.

Now for the pictures, here are the befores:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now, the afters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Excellent work!
    That thing was a beast. For the heavier stains, try FOLEX. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. Simple Green works very well too. Woolite is awesome but it can seem to budge every stain.

#83 can be tough to remove if it gums up. Try cleaning your pad more often. Do this by taking a wet MF towel folded over into quarters. Sit it on a rigid surface ( I use my tailgate), mist the dirty pad with a quick detailer, and press the pad with PC on #5 onto the towel. This will clean any build up out of the pad. I do this about every other panel. Another trick with 83 is less is more. I used to use WAY to much product. I use 3 pea sized dots to prime the pad......one at 12:00.......on at center.......and one at 6:00. After this for the first panel, I only use two small dots per panel.

I'm glad the engine bay trick worked for you. It's so easy. Hyper Dressing works fine with this process.......even at 4:1.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I agree with Justin, use less #83 if you are having problems. Removal should be very easy when you use the correct amount. Also, look into BioKleen's Traffic Lane Cleaner. I bought a gallon for $24 and the dillution ratio is 32:1, so it costs less than a dollar per gallon in ready to use form.

The van looks a lot better, that's for sure! Love how Carnauba Moose looks on red. :)

4. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

5. 91RS

I don't think I was using a ton, but I was using bigger than pea size drops and the pad was getting dirty. I was trying to clean the pad a little by wiping the pad with the microfiber, but I didn't spray any quick detailer or run the PC. I think I was probably using a little too much of the Carnauba Moose Wax (two strips about 3" long on either side of the pad) but there was no problem getting it off. I will say this though, the blue pad barely got dirty at all when applying the wax.

6. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

It's really hard to tell about polishes sometimes. One time they will work fine and the next......crap! Humidity, the paint, how well you shake the polish up.......tons of factors when working outside. That's why it's hard to stick with just one polish/wax.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Could have been some nasty build-up of crap on the paint that was giving you problems. Every once in a while, I will run across a car that has *something* on the paint that makes polishign a royal pain in the ass.

8. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Can you (or anyone) tell me what you did to those lenses and how to do it please. My Town and Country's only downside is those damn lenses! Everything else looks great and you can't tell it's got 140k on it. :hs:

9. 91RS

Judging by how long it had been since this car was washed at all, that wouldn't surprise me!

I'll definately try Justin's less is more approach.

I couldn't do anything with the headlights and the third brake light, but the taillights didn't have any oxidation on them so I just put some 3M plastic polish on them. By looking at how bad they were on this van, the only thing to save them would probably be wet sanding and then you'd need rotary to get rid of the wet sanding marks. This van had 160k miles on it.

10. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Thanks for replying to my question about the lenses. The junkyard has a brand new set for $180 I think -m gonna do that