Detailed a black (swirled!) Expedition - what a mess (56K no way!)

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Run N. Gun, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

2006 Black Expedition was brought to me last Saturday. This thing was a mess!! Worked 1:30pm to 8:30pm I wasn't going to do the interior, but after I saw it I had to clean it.

Products used in order: ONR, Clay Magic Bar with ONR clay lube, Optimum Compound with orange pad, Optimum Polish Orange, then white pad, Optimum Wax (new formula). Treated trim and running boards Meguire's rubber/trim, DP Krystal Vision on the glass.

BEFORE washing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note the heavy water/calcium spots on the hood.
    [​IMG]

Driver's mirror
    [​IMG]

More ugly water spots at base of rear window.
    [​IMG]

BEFORE Interior shots (they have kids and a dog!):
    [​IMG]

Juice stains and dog hair - lots of it
    [​IMG]

more stains
    [​IMG]

more...
    [​IMG]

Dog hair, juice stains and dog barf (yuk!)
    [​IMG]
    Juice on the seat...
    [​IMG]

Here's the best part - a boogar farm under the seat. :eek3: (yes, it's gone - found another on the other side, too)
    [​IMG]

All of the cup holders looked like this
    [​IMG]

Washed the roof and one side with ONR and clayed...looking pretty good so far
    [​IMG]

Starting the passenger side
    [​IMG]

AFTER Washing and clay is all finished, paint looks pretty good - until I turn on my halogens... :eek4::wtc:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are fractures coming up from under the paint, I'm pretty sure! I could barely feel them with my bare hand, but could definately see them under the halogens! Weird thing is these were only present on the passenger front quarter panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried Optimum Polish and it wasn't doing much for the swirls, so I stepped up to Opt. Compound and then started making progress. I took my time and worked it in, then followed with OP on orange pad, then white pad. Cleaned up with Opt. Wax.

AFTER polishing and waxing(cleared up about 75% of the swirls, but was too tired to do more and was losing sunlight):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FINAL pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swirls are better, but some are still there :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, if you made it this far, please help me figure out how to get rid of the rest of the swirls. Can it even be done? Should I have done something different? The owner did tell me that another guy had used a rotary on it (DUH!) pretty regularly. I showed the before and after photos and he could see the obvious difference. The guy was so impressed, he's offered me all of his future business (he has a small car lot and does a lot of service work too).

For you pros, what would you normally charge for a job like this?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

at least $275, until I found the booger farm. That's fucking gross.

anyways, good work, but at least dress your wheel wells if you don't wash them.

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

the one thing i noticed, otherwise the car looks gorgeous!

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

oh, and I'd bet the fractures in the fender are from the wife's driving. she hit something and didn't tell her husband. and you found them. also, I'm pretty sure that she drives that truck and not him. women generally don't give a fuck about a car.

5. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Yes, wife drives the car and she doesn't notice anything. Seriously.

I did dress the wheels and wheel wells in the final pics, the driver's side rear has beige paint all inside of it. I scrubbed the crap out of it with all the mud, but then realized it was paint splash. I managed to get it all off the rear panel with the clay bar. Next time, I may just pull out the black spray paint and solve that problem. LOL!

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I hate Expiditions. Of all the SUVs I detail, they are always the most trashed. Not sure why. :dunno:

Looks a lot better. :)

7. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Any advice on how to get completely rid of the swirls? Is it even possible? I'd really like to try, but am stumped on my options. How is Meg's Swirl Remover (looks/feels alot like Optimum Compound) - would that work?

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Rotary. Meguiars #105. 8006 polishing pad.

9. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Good to know it's possible. Is there anything I can use with a Porter Cable 7424? How did you do it before the rotary?

10. shanker

shanker unemployed

I cannot believe that ford has yet to fix these on their black vehicles..

[​IMG]

I have a 2000 Harley Davidson F150 with the exact same problem on the Roof and hood. The roof has rust all over it rightnow.

If I had that Expy, and knowing what will happen when the solvent pop gets worse, I would sell it now.

I know of an owner of a 2000 Harley Davidson F150 that Ford bought his truck back and put him in a new 2003 Harley F150 not costing him a dime.

Altough his ENTIRE truck was covered in Solvent Pop

11. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Thx for the heads up, Shanker. That is good info. I'll poke around some F150 forums for more info, so I can pass back to the customer. Thank you!