Detailed: 96 Maxima and 98 Rav4

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by THT, Apr 24, 2007.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

The fruits of my labor this weekend.

Maxima

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Wash
    4. Poorboy's Professional polish
    5. Z5 Pro/Grand Finale/ZFX mix
    6. Spritz w/ Z6
    7. Z5 Pro/Grand Finale/ZFX mix
    8. Tires: Z18
    9. Aquapel on front windshield and front windows

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rav4

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Wash
    4. Sonus SFX-1
    5. SSR 1
    6. Collinite 476S
    7. Souveran (paste)
    8. Aquapel on front windshield and front windows

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Both turned out really nice. Any reason for the product change between the two?

3. THT

Thanks!

I wanted to try out the Collinite and paste Souveran. I didn't like how the liquid Souveran turned out on my Maxima so I thought I'd try the paste on the car that I don't drive as much. I like the results but it's not worth $80/tin. The Collinite was nice but I'm more curious about durability. I know Zaino works out really well on my Maxima so I stuck with it.

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Nice job on both cars!!

I'm curious as to why you left the RAV in the garage for pictures rather than take the pics in the daylight?

Also why so many steps with the cars? Did you really wash twice? If so, why? I wash and clay in the same step and it saves me time/effort. Also did you use a PC or do the polishing by hand? Sorry for the questions, I just like to learn from others' experiences. :bigthumb:

5. Scottwax

Actually, I think you would be happier with Souveran on a darker color. Not sure if you want to top Zaino because then you have to continue topping with a carnauba or start all over but I bet you'd be pleased at how good Souveran looks on black.

BTW, how is the reliability of your Maxima? My 626 seems to have a lot of little stuff go wrong with it regularly and I am leaning towards a Maxima or going back to an Accord as a replacement.

6. THT

Thanks! I left it in the garage b/c I was feeling lazy. All the work was done by a PC. I washed twice because it was the first wash of the season and I wanted to make sure I got everything.

I did like the look of Souveran on my Maxima however it was breaking down too fast. Z5 Pro looks almost as good and lasts so much longer when it comes to repelling rain.

As for the Maxima, it's not a normal car. I just completed a VQ35 engine swap into it (original 3.0L had 108K on it and was strong enough to pull a 97mph trap in the quarter) because I wanted more power. 4th gen Maximas are overall great cars. Timing chains so you don't have to worry about timing belts, over-engineered motor that requires just oil changes, and if you're lucky enough to find one, a fun 5pd manual to boot.

7. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

The '96 looks nice as hell! Is that the original paint? If so, I've never seen a 95-96 look that good!

And scottwax, my mom had 240k on her VQ30 before selling it and all she replaced were the motor mounts around 130k and the MAF and coils once at 60k. Solid engine for sure...

8. THT

Thanks! Yep, original paint. She's been in my family for three generations and I took possession at 50K miles. At 83K, it was converted to a 5spd. At 108K, it got the built 3.5.

9. Scottwax

:eek3: A VQ in your Maxima? I bet it makes a great sleeper! 97 mph in the traps with original engine? I take it the engine was at least lightly modified, right?

Good to know the Maximas are reliable. They run a couple grand less than a similarly equiped/mileage Accord.

10. THT

Yeah, basic bolt-ons, ECU and VI, nothing fancy. With the 3.5, it should be good for 105ish traps. I would recommend a stock one as a peppy, reliable daily driver.

11. Scottwax

I have a V6 626, decent power for a 2.5 V6 (around 87 in the traps stock) but the gearing sucks since it is the same tranny used in the V6 Contour that redlined at 6500 and mine redlines at 7000. Converter is too tight too. Would be a lot better if it was a 5 speed. :sad2: Basically a solid car but little stuff, like O2 sensors (it has 4), alternators, a/c compressor, drive belt tensioners all seem to wear out faster than I am used to after owning an Accord. Now I have some sort of transmission shift position controller acting up and it occasionally downshifts from overdrive to 3rd with very slight throttle input and then my O/D light flashes and I get a CEL. Not expensive to fix but I only have 150,000 miles on it and I really didn't have ANY problems with my Accord until 175,000.

BTW, the VQ swap basically a bolt-in? I am still debating getting a late 90s or early 00s Maxima. I kind of like the styling of the 98-99s but the 02-03s have 65 hp more....

12. THT

Sort of. You have to swap the timing equipment from the 3.0 to the 3.5. It's not a huge issue however, you have to pay attention or you'll skip a tooth when you start it up for the first time and then there's hell to pay. Also, Nissan loves RTV and going through three bottles really sucks. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward. You can get low mileage 3.5L motors for $700 or less; after a clutch upgrade and a few adapters, you can do this swap for about $1,500. I chose to build the motor a bit so I spent a little more. All accessories transfer over without modification.