Detailed: 2001 Jeep Wrangler "Sahara"

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by justin30513, May 15, 2008.

1. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

This vehicle was one to be cleaned for resale. A good friend of mine owns this Jeep.......loves it.......but it's time for it to go with gas prices the way they are. It only has 44K miles on it. The interior was pristine so no shots of it. Just a vac, wipe, down, and glass cleaning.

Here's the process it received.......

Engine Bay:
    ZEP Industrial Purple (ZIP.....new acronym!) was used 8:1. This is my new favorite degreaser. It blows Purple Power away and has a higher dilution ratio making more economical. It's 7.98 a gallon but make 8 gallons when diluted. I let it sit for 5 minutes then pressure washed. I then sprayed the plastic surfaces with Meguiar's Hyper Dressing at 4:1. I shut the hood, started the engine, and let it run while I washed the rest of the exterior. I then came back and treated the paint under the hood with NXT 2.0.

Wheels, tires, and wells:
    Tires and wells were soaked with ZEP "ZIP" at 8:1 and the wheels hand washed with Meguiar's Hyper Wash. After the tires and wells were dry, they were treated to Hyper Dressing at 4:1. All trims pieces were as well.

Wash Cycle:
    I used Meg's Hyper Wash at 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons. Tons of suds and good cleaning. My new favorite wash. Do not be fooled by it's price and thoughts of just a high volume wash. I would put it up against any other wash on the market.

Paint Compounding/Polishing:
    (Meguiar's #105 via G110 & LC Lo-Pro Orange Pads)
    I'm still learning this wonderful product. I tried something different today and wow.....it worked! I back the speed down to 5 and only made 2 passes in every direction over a 3X3 area. It removed MORE swirls and left NO marring! I was simply amazed. Less is MORE with this compound. It was easier to remove and no dusting. All I can think of is the the higher speed caused it to flash earlier than needed. Any imput on this? Let me know!

Paint Protection:
    (Meguiar's NXT 2.0 via G110 & LC CCS Red Finishing Pad)
    Easy to use. Use of very little product. A great finish.
    What more can I say?

Befores.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Afters.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Nice work as always Justin. :)

I agree with less is more and lower speeds with #105. I never go past 1000 rpms with it (rotary). Mixing in 30% Optimum Compound significantly extends the working time. Was able to remove some pretty bad spider swirls and holograms (courtesy of a body shop) on a white CeramiClear Mercedes very quickly using #105 mixed down with OC and it was nearly hologram free. Some quick passes with Ultrafina and it was LSP ready.

3. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

If you're mixing it with OC to extend the work time, why no just buy some #95? It's the same technology as #105 but with the traditional "breakdown" of many compounds?

I'm going to try it.

4. Scottwax

I already have #105 and OC....

5. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Ok.......

6. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Looks good, not a big fan of his bumpers though!

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

jeep looks good justin, but i've got a question for you. if you cleaned it where it stood- does anyone (passers by, landlord, other tenants) of a parking lot like that ever give you a problem due to the noise or space constraints? I may be wrong, but it looks like a business next to the 'log cabin'.

that's a well reasoned answer.

anyone interested in extending the 'pot time' of a product may just want to try some water in a spray bottle. if the pad is getting dry, just give it or the panel a mist, will keep the temps down too. especially eggcrate pads where sometimes it's difficult to get old product out of the dimples. I'm sure it does the same thing as 'pad conditioner'

8. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Nope no problems. Those are actually vacant. No one have ever really said anything about the noise. Landscapers make noise and I see them all over the place. I might run my pressure washer for maybe 15 total minutes on a detail like this.

On another note, what the largest item you've ran off of your little generator?

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Separately I've run the Makita Rotary and the Ridigid Vac, both run fine and barely kick up the noise level. I think they're both 10A, generator rated for 13A and will peak at 16A.

Generator would NOT run my electric pressure washer- which requires a '120V/15A dedicated circuit' in the manual but the motor is only 13A. On paper it should work: 1600W < 2000W, but most induction motors need more than 2x the rated wattage on startup.

Generator has idle adjust- so no load equates to low noise and that's more quiet than a face to face conversation. I'd like to get a video but haven't used my digital camera for that, and lost the manual...

10. Scottwax

I can't speak for Justin but when I do cars in parking lots, the main problem is the idiots who come up to me while I am working-usually when either vacuuming or buffing and ask "do you do detailing?" :uh:

1 gallon of #105 and 1 quart of OC is about $100 of product as it is. Plus #95 isn't the same exact product as #105 but with a longer work time. It is a more of a traditional compound (diminishing abrasives) and the finish apparently isn't nearly as good as #105.

11. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

do you do detailing?

more than you can afford, pal. :ugh:

12. Scottwax

Speaking off....

[​IMG]

#80 @ 1200-1400 rpms with a white CCS polishing pad, Ultrafina @ 1000-1800-1000 using an Ultrafina pad, Carnauba Moose Wax.

13. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Man I get that a lot.........and think what you said even more!!!