Detailed: 1991 Mazda 323

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by justin30513, Jan 29, 2008.

1. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I know what you all are thinking. Why am I posting a '91 Mazda? Well this on only has 30,000 miles on it! It was owned by an elderly lady. She just passed away and it now has a new owner. When the owner brought it in to have it's oil changed, the technician saw the oxidized paint (single stage). He immediately referred her to me. When I arrived at the owners home, I inspected the paint. There was a ton of oxidation. I knew I would be seeing red all day.......on my pads, towels, and hands! I brought Menzerna's APO 60 with me today to see how it would do on a bad, single stage paint. I'm so glad I did!!!

Here's the full process.......

Start time:
    10:00 AM
    Finish time:
    1:00 PM
    Payment:

Befores....
    (Sorry about the pics. I didn't realize that my flash was not on!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The arsenal...
    [​IMG]
    Now in action.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The results.....
    [​IMG]
    Did I mention the low miles?
    [​IMG]

Wheels, tires, and wells:

The tires and wells were sprayed with Mean Green degreaser (1:1) and then the wheels with Wheel Brightener (4:1). The wheels are a lost cause but I'm going to repaint them for the owner. The tires were protected with Armor All Tire Foam.

Wash Cycle:
    The exterior wash foamed with a strong concentration of Chem. Guyz Citrus Wash. It was then washed with a LC Ulti-Mitt. Drying was handled by an original Guzzler.

Paint Correction & Protection:

(Menz. APO60 via rotary & LC Blue Polishing Pad)
    I was already prepared to use Meg's #83 on this paint when I remembered I had my APO60 with me. I had a fresh blue LC pad laying out so I said what the heck.......let's see what this all in one can do! Oh dear.......the results were amazing! The oxidation came off so fast, even with a soft blue pad. I did notice that I had to use more APO60 than with the Cyclo. The rotary does break it down really fast. About 2 passes worth at 1700rpm. There was basically nothing to remover either nor a trace of dust. I intentionally did not tape up any trim to see if it would stain. It didn't stain but in fact, made the trim look better. This was a true test of any all in one and now I'm totally sold on APO60.

Interior:
    This was supposed to be an "exterior only" detailer but I just had to touch up the inside of this little jewel. A quick vac and protectant was all that was needed. Last was the windows.

Thanks in advance to all!!!

Afters.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Looks a million times better. :)

Got you beat on a low mileage older car though....1978 BMW M1 with less than 2000 actual miles! Did a '91 Camaro with about 26,000 on it this past fall-looks brand new inside!

3. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

best $100 that owner ever spent on car care.

4. gdubb

gdubb Crockett & Tubbs

Nice job, I bet the owner was quite pleased!

5. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

great work as usual Justin. My buddy bought a 92 honda accord with only 11k on the odo 2 years ago and turned around and sold it for 6 times what he paid for it after I cleaned it up for him.

6. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I offered the owner double what she paid for it.......that would be a whopping 1000.00!

She said NO!

7. danponjican

danponjican New Member

Looks great for a one stepper! Not bad for a few hours of work!

(Justin... you get me PM?)

8. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Looks really good, nice turn around!