Designing websites from a GD point of view...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I've designed a few sites in the past but don't do any of the programming. I just can't grasp it yet, I'm a visual person not coding.

So in the past, I've designed them in PS, sliced them up & exported the slices. I would give this to whomever was going to program the site & wash my hands of it. The sites would go up fine, but looked as tho something was off about them. Like it was difficult to program buttons & links.

How do you design a site if you're a graphic designer so that it's as easy as possible for the programmer to work with?
  2. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Aug 5, 2000
    If you want to be a successful designer, you need to know how your product works. I was a great graphic designer and shitty webdesigner until I learned how to code and concentrate on improving load times, graphic size, etc. Layout is probably the most important. Structure needs to be determined before anything asthetic. If you try and make it look pretty without working on proper structure, your site will suck. Hard.

Graphic design artists don't make good web designer without knowing how websites truly work. Take the time and learn HTML and proper web design. You will look back after a year and ask WTF you were thinking when you did webdesign before. Trust me. Been there, done that.
  3. purpledonkey

purpledonkey Guest

I learned the HTML side really well before I learned the design side really well.

As far as a tool, Dreamweaver works wonders.

But learn HTML and learn why certain things do certain things. That will make your life 10000% easier.
  4. It's pretty easy to build HTML from an image. It's only as complex as your specifications.