Designing new rig do I need to make trims or upgrades?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ThreeUp3Down, Dec 23, 2008.

1. ThreeUp3Down

ThreeUp3Down New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    • CASE: NEW!!! CoolerMaster Cosmos Silent Gaming Tower Case w/ 420 Watts Power Supply (Original Color)
    • Neon Light Upgrade: NONE
    • Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
    • POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 1, 000 Watts Power Supplies (($50 off Mail-in Rebate) Thermaltake ToughPower 1, 000 Watts Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)
    • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
    • COOLING FAN : ($10 off Mail-in Rebate) Thermaltake V1 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof + Smart CPU & System Thermal Monitor)
    • MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, & 7.1Audio
    • MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    • VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5 PCI-Express Dual DVI-I & TVO (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
    • LCD Monitor: NONE
    • 2nd Monitor: NONE
    • HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (32 GB Ritek RiDATA 2.5 inch SATA Gaming SLC Solid State Disk (Nearly Instant Data Access Technology))
    • Data Hard Drive: 1TB (500GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
    • Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (SILVER COLOR)
    • Optical Drive 2: Lite-On DH-401S 4X Blu-Ray Player
    • KEYBOARD: Razer Lycosa Black USB Gaming Keyboard
    • MOUSE: Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    • Extra Thermal Display : NONE
    • Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card + GigaByte GN-AT2050D 2.4GHz Indoor Omni-Directional Dipole Antenna
    • Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (SILVER COLOR)
    So I'm looking @ getting a new PC and this is my first draft @ the specs but I stopped following hardware years ago so wanted to get some other opinions.
    1. What's the best site to get it built at? I normally used ibuypower but am thinking of switching to cyberpowerpc
    2. Power supply large enough? Overkill?
    3. With current amount of ram & the video card should I upgrade the processor? Doesn't seem like the extra 270mhz is worth the money.
    4. Is this going to have cooling issues? Should I add extra case fans? I want a quiet computer but I'm gunshy about ordering another computer with watercooling since I've had problems with my last one with having to refill it everytime I ship it which then evolved into more issues with it. Suck it up and go with watercooling again?
    5. Do I need to go with SLC or can I get away with a much bigger MLC? I hear MLC has reliability issues.
    6. The main use for my computer is playing poker during which I run an SQL database. Do I put the OS, my SQL database, & the information it's importing onto the SLC and then move the data that's already been read over to a traditional drive along with all my movies, music, etc.?
    7. I don't game at all so the video card is massive overkill but once a geek always a geek so I still get a chub over the newest shit. I went with 4870 x2 instead of running two 4850's in Crossfire because it performs slightly better & I figured if I got back into gaming I could add another one down the line and keep the rig from going obsolete longer. If I decide to not get a top of the line video card then how far down should I go to just meet basic needs & have the option to game rarely if I so choose?
  2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

May 23, 2006
    Don't know, I'd recommend just building it yourself. It's not hard.

It should be fine.

I'd probably use that CPU. I agree that it's probably not worth the money for the next step up.

You're probably fine. Just keep an eye on the temps if you're overclocking it.

Don't buy any cheap SSD other than the Intel X-25M (~$600). Those other cheap ones blow ass and you will likely notice hold ups.

I'd keep OS and SQL on the SSD. No need for movies, music, etc to be on there. If your SQL database is too large for the SSD you might consider getting a 15k SAS drive off newegg for it.

Shit only gets better and cheaper over time. Why not just get a single 4870 1GB GDDR5 GPU now and if you need more down the line get a second. In order for the 4870 x2 to even use the second GPU the game must support Crossfire anyway.

To be honest though, with the issues being reported from ATI drivers and the X58 based motherboards, I'd get a nVidia GPU now, especially if gaming isn't a big thing for you currently. Probably the GTX260, then down the line you can add another one for SLI if need be.