WEB Design Review

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hank85, Feb 22, 2009.

1. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

Whats up guys, so I use to run a personal blog years ago, and for some reason earlier today I decided I wanted to start it up again. Just personal stuff, pictures from travels, websites I find interesting, etc. etc. etc. A project thats not AM or recompiling kernals.

I'm no design guru by any means, systems administrator by trade. Wanted to see what TWL thought about it though.

http://www.destinationundefined.com/

One problem I have with it is when you click on the separate headings for each section of the accordion they end up being the same size as the largest section (actually, I hate this), it's just some accordion script I found on the internets, if you guys have any suggestions for it I'd appreciate it.

Personally, I like the design, I figure it's easy on the eyes when you're bored at 3am in your bed on the laptop. Each refresh gets you a new background.

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Not actually that easy on the eyes. The background is huge, centered, and doesn't repeat. So when I'm browsing with my 24" monitor, I see a centered background image, with black behind and around it.

There is too much attention everywhere on the site. The background, and especially the header. How do you expect people to read your site when 100% of their attention is focusing on the flash header? As a blog, you want your users to focus on the content, not on pointless elements across the entire website.

Usability is a huge :nono: on this site. Although the sliding navigation is cool, it's way below the fold, and you're going to have most of your users scrolling just to find the "about" or "contact" section. This wouldn't fly on any serious site.

I don't see the point in this site. It isn't clearly defined anywhere.

3. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

I am not feeling it, too much space not being used

and kingtoad covered it pretty good lol

4. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

What he said. Said it a lot clearer than I could.

5. nothing

nothing New Member

yah kingtoad is right...the header kept my attention for awhile and then i was to lazy to read the actual blog =D. Also nice slide navigation, but it is way below like king toad said. I didnt even notice it till i read his post.

6. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

this

7. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

stick to sysadmin brah :o

8. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

looked at your site again. seems like your background photogrpahy is pretty cool. if you want to showcase that, remove that animated flash thing, it's giving me a seizure. if you really like the accodion, do a horizontal one, that way your content will be above the fold. check out http://www.gettyimagesjobs.com/