Design/organization ideas for small spaces

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by calisteph6, Oct 22, 2008.

1. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

I'm moving from a condo with a large bedroom and access to shared space, to a very small guest studio. The room is about 15x15 (and a few feet is taken up by 2 wardrobe type closets). Then there is a tiny kitchen with no sink or any cabinets/storage...a large vanity area with a big sink (can be used as kitchen sink) and several cabinets and then the full bathroom with sink, shower, toilet. It's also sort of ugly with beige shag type carpet and really awful wall paper on one wall. Has a great window looking out to the pool though.

What things can I do to decorate and maxmize space. I have a lot of large furniture that I need to use.

Here is what I have:
    bed
    large desk
    tall dresser
    short dresser (could store this)
    tall bookcase
    medium sized tv stand (could store this and put my tv on top of the dresser or wardrobe...but then I would need somewhere for dvd storage)
    wire rack shelves (3 shelves, going to put in kitchen for food.)
    several little decorative shelves that are going to be nailed to the walls
    2 steralite type dressers. One is narrow at maybe 11ish inches wide, and one wider at maybe 16 inches wide (don't know where to put these, lol)
    2 of the upright type jewelry boxes
    CD tower
    lazeboy type chair, but it doesn't recline (can possibly store this)

What I'm thinking of getting:
    space saving hangers
    little kitchen island/cart type thing on wheels to chop on and for more food storage, this could fit in the kitchen between fridge and stove (I've seen them for under $100 at BB&B)
    some house plants
    toaster oven, I don't have a toaster, is this a bad idea? I guess I could just use the oven in the event I really need to toast something
    area rug

Areas for storage, little used items:
    garage storage
    above 1 wardrobe that is sturdy (plan to put some kitchen items, like crockpot up here)
    maybe bookcase if it isn't too big/ugly

Any suggestions how to maximize space and decorate this? I guess I need to work on framing some pictures for the wall too...I have the shelving for knick nacks, but not many pictures and just one piece of art.

I'm gonna browse Ikea for the stuff I'm going to buy...especially area rug, because I want something cheap...and see what else they have that is good, but also I have coupons for BB&B, both the usual 20% off ones and also $10 off of $30 and they're stackable.

Also, I'm on a limited budget. I already spent $30 on the extra wardrobe (was $60 but had a giftcard.) I want to try not and spend over like $250-200 total.

Also, if anyone has some resources that would be great. I've tried to look for some of my own, but most just aren't applicable to me.

2. chizzle

chizzle New Member

Go to ikea showroom, they always have living space ideas.

3. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

www.apartmenttherapy.com

search for "cool" and "small." they have an annual contest for the best cool small spaces and you can browse the past 2yrs worth of entries for ideas :)

4. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Thanks cedric...I'll have to look over that when I have more time. Someone else suggested getting storage off the floor with shelving and baskets...so that's one thing I'm going to try and then I'll store my little dresser and a few of the plastic ones.

btw, the rug isn't included in my budget because that's expensive and I'll use it for awhile. A lot of the other stuff I'll only be able to use for this space and I don't know how long I'll be here so I don't want to spend a lot. :(