Design me a computer v. Help a brother out

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VladTemplar, Dec 21, 2007.

1. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Okay, I've been on here before and asked for builds, but I wanted to come back and ask again. I'm ordering this today so I need to know what some good stuff is. My budget is to stay close to $1000, but that's not a hard limit.

I'd like to go for a Quad-core if I can, I know it bumps up the price signifigantly, but I've been told it's worth it. Perhaps you guys could advise me on this.

I'm probably going to shoot for an 8800GT video card, I like to game, but I'm not a huge gamer. Having to turn down some specs to get smoother frame rate is fine by me. At this point all I care about is that Star Trek: Online will work on the computer because that's the only game I'm really excited about and I figure they're not going to make that game's hardware requirements ridiculous. I DO want to be able to play 1080p (even grainy stuff like Battlestar Galactica) with 100% smoothness, no hesitations whatsoever. If that means I need to bump up my video card please tell me.

Regarding storage I'd like to have a minimum of 1.5tb (two 750s), but I'm willing to entertain ideas. I've got my old Lian-Li PC60 case, and while it'll hold 4 HDDs, I fear the heat from 4 massive drives would start to cause problems. I'd also like recommendations on whether or not I should simply make a partition on one of those drives for the system stuff or whether I should pick up a seperate drive for that.

Beyond that all the normal stuff you'd add in like a DVD burner (lots of debate on what a good drive is, recommendations please?), sound card, and maybe some recommendations on a good monitor. I've been looking at the 24" Samsungs, but I'd like to hear opinions.

Thanks

Edit: If it's smart I'll pick up a new case, I don't HAVE to reuse this Lian-Li, I just love the case. If I do pick up a new case, though, I'd like to hear whether or not there are good ones out there that have water cooling functions built in to them.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

If you can swing the money, the Q6600 and 8800GT are fantastic choices and will be able to handle 720p and 1080p with no problems.

For board, Asus makes the P5K and Gigabyte makes the DSL3, both of which use the P35 chipset that will allow you to upgrade to the new 45nm cpu's. Those boards will both let you overclock, if you're no overclocking, Intel makes great boards.
    Power supply, Corsair is nice because they have several models with modular cables (don't have to put in the ones you're not using), OCZ, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling all make great power supplies, shoot for something ~600w. You don't need more than that.
    Hard drives, Seagate 7200.10 or 7200.11 series for the win.
    For a case that has room to run watercooling, Antec has both the Nine Hundred and the P180, both of which have gromets in the back pannel for your hoses to go through to a radiator. Both cases have excellent cooling as well as plenty of room for 4 drives.
    Honestly, you can do just as well with air cooling now, the thermalright ultra 120 extreme is big enough to take a 120mm fan which at stock speeds, is able to keep a Q6600 at 5-10c above ambient, and without a lot of noise.
    For monitors, both Samsung and BenQ have a couple of great 24's.

3. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

5. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

No one else want to chip in?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

get at least 3 hard drives, and run raid3/5