WEB Design Advice Wanted, Please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sewid, Apr 9, 2008.

1. sewid

sewid Nissan Junkie

Not really a creative person but my site is taking off despite my best efforts to ugly it up with my attempts.

Looking for some advice or to pay someone to assist in the creation of anything from a better banner logo (preferably something involving my own photography) all the way to a new layout for the site.

What I have now is @ http://www.gtrblog.com it's doing alright as far as traffic goes but i'd like to move it to the next level in terms of being attractive to look at as well.

Any other advice on the website from anyone would be valued highly. Like I said i'm not creative but have a strong tech background so whatever it takes to get done in the backend is no problem.

Cheers!

2. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

The biggest thing I see is the menu...it's kind of a clusterfuck.

Do you have google analytics on the site? If so, I would take a look at what people are clicking on the most, and prioritize your menu as such.

The pages thing at the top is wierd....I would move it to the bottom or get rid of it.

Move the two ads below the first menu on the right to a banner type setup where the pages thing is now, then your categories will be above the fold. I would also switch the order of the search and categories items.

3. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Also move the little post detail things down to below the post.

Just try to look at it through the visitors eyes, what they would want to see first.

4. i agree, ditch the pages thing at the top, but leave the one you have at the bottom. that was the very first thing that came to mind when your page loaded.

you might want your categories a bit higher up in the menu? it's underneath all of the banners. maybe also having the login fields somewhere in the header instead of a text link to a login page.

blog looks great content wise. i think i'll do some catching up on the GTR on your blog

edit: also maybe a BR tag or two between each post.

5. sewid

sewid Nissan Junkie

Great thanks! I see what you mean with these.

It's difficult to spot these things when you're looking at it every single day. I've taken all that on board and agree so i'm going to make these changes today.

6. sewid

sewid Nissan Junkie

Again thanks for that - I think I will implement these ideas today. Cheers.