GUN Desert Eagle opinions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nycmatt49, Feb 6, 2004.

1. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

What do you guys think of the Desert Eagle. I have one, and was shooting it today. I have my own opinions on it, after shooting plenty of rounds throught it. Any thoughts? Anyone out there have one?

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

I've got one in.50AE. I love it. As I've said before, I'm a recoilaholic so the kick doesn't bother me. There are alot of opinions here. Do a search of this forum, and you'll see the previous posts about them.

edit- to save you some time, i did the search for you. here is the link

http://forums.offtopic.com/search.php?searchid=777657

3. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

Cool. Ya, I have one in .50AE and also love it. If you ever need to put a very large hole in something, that is definitely the gun to do it with.

4. taco

taco Guest

There is no point to it. It weighs a ton, it's way too big to carry. There are far more powerful revolvers out there to hunt with.

It is alright for people that can accept it for what it is, a hey look what I got kind of deal or a movie prop.

5. fastlif

fastlif New Member

I own a .50ae in chrome, mainly just 'cause its a pretty badass looking gun. Nothing I would want for self defense or anything but I love the gun. Its always nice to have in the collection. I try to have all the big bores available. Latest is a 500 S&W, I already had 454 casull and .44 mags. Just another toy.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i've fired one, and while my hands won't take that for too long, the two rounds i fired were cool. my hands get shaky after shooting things that impact them hard like that. and they don't stop shaking for at least an hour afterward. i think i may actually have some nerve disorder, because my eyelids have started twitching, on both eyes, and sometimes both the upper and lower, and i used to feel tingling and itching all over when there was nothing to make it that way.

7. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I have only fired the .357MAG, recoil wasn't bad, it was picky about ammo, it wanted hot loads to work the enormous slide.
    The part I loved best was the killer back blast.

One of these days I will rent a .50AE, I might actually buy a .44Mag version.

8. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

Ya, the points about the gun being impractical are noted. The only real purpose it serves is to look incredibly badass, and to put large holes in things. It's also a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. It's comparable in recoil to my .454, exept that gun seems to thrash up more, and the DE comes back at you.

Anyway, the one thing that annoys me about my .50 DE is that about every other shell ejects straight back at you. 1/4 or so will usually hit you in the face. Smell my finger was shooting mine, and it actually cut his forehead. Eye protection is a must. Any of you guys ever have that problem with yours?

9. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

:embd: ... fucking DE

10. mrbill

mrbill New Member

no, neither i nor anyone who has shot mine has been hit by an ejected shell.

11. footratfunkface

yes, the one that i shot, you had to wear a hat turned backwards or you'd end up with the edge or rim of a casing cutting your forehead open. glasses are required at the gun club, so it wasn't an issue, but none of the casings hit my glasses, or anyone else's. but, yeah, straight back go the casings on MOST .50 desert eagles.

12. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

alright cool, glad it's not just mine or i'd trade that shit tomorrow.

13. Kwik maxx

Kwik maxx Guest

The shells hitting you in the forehead is caused from your wrist rolling to the left(assuming you are right handed)during the recoil stroke. Hold a gun in your hand and act like you are pouring a coke, look at the ejection port, still wonder why the shells hit you in the forehead? .50AE is a not a fun round to shoot for me. At least with the DE, it's massive weight and gas operation, it takes a little sting out of the recoil. Now shooting it out of a Grizzly(big 1911) even less fun.

14. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

I completely disagree. My wrist doesn't roll to the left at all when i fire my .50AE DE. In fact, there is nothing that your wrist can do except move in the direction that the gun's recoil pushes it.. straight back.

Also, I have a ton of fun shooting the gun, as does everyone who shoots it with me. All i ever see are huge smiles, flying shells, enourmous holes, and lots of recoil when shooting my DE.

15. rob

rob Guest

desert eagle owns, in counter-strike i can kill anyone w/ it.. def a good gun i nreal life

16. footratfunkface

the DE's ejection port is directly on top. the whole slide comes back to reveal the barrel extension. the straight-back ejection is either a gun-by-gun thing, or a design flaw in the ejector, or a malfunction that occurs in lots of DE's. it happens in some glocks too, and some AK's. i think it's just a gun-by-gun occurance, though, which occurs in lots of DE's.

by the way, i'm left-handed. explain the straight-back brass now.

17. Kwik maxx

Kwik maxx Guest

Maybe you just have strong wrists :naughty: You are correct, the recoil pushes straight back, but the muscles in your wrist and forearms may not be equally strong. Also, if you have small hands, your ability to control the recoil will be reduded.

I have shot quite a few rounds through both the DE and grizzly both in .50AE.
    I have seen a number different shooters (right handers) who had the same wrist roll to the left, however slight, and shell casings that struck them.
    [​IMG]
    Pic of the Grizzly if you have never seen one
    :eek3:

For me they were interesting to shoot and very inpressive, However, not what I would not call enjoyable. I will shoot .45 ACP all day long with a big grin on my face but .50AE is a little too punishing to be fun:dunno:

18. Kwik maxx

Kwik maxx Guest

:dunno: As I recall one of my friends who struck in the forehead with brass is also left handed. Maybe the ejection pattern is more upward than outward:dunno: Or it could be a faulty ejector as you have said. I do know that I have seen many people (one lefty) who have been hit by ejected brass when firing the DE .50AE.

19. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

i have very large hands, i have the strongest wrists/forearms out of anyone i have ever met in my life. at age 10 i was beating every person from age 20-40 in arm wrestling that i could come across. so it's not that.

20. footratfunkface

21. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

ya, well popeye or not, i've had plenty of people with different strenghs of wrist/forearm shoot the gun, and the shells still always fly straight back.

i'm trying to remember which way they flew in charlies angels II (ya ya, i'm gay for seeing that movie) when demi moore fired the gun(with no recoil). would have been funny to have had her get her face all jacked up.

22. footratfunkface

no it wouldn't. she's hot.