GUN Desert Eagle .50

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KingsFanPaul, Aug 24, 2002.

1. KingsFanPaul

KingsFanPaul Guest

I have always thought that gun was badass, I have heard its not legal in cali is this true? Also how much $ do they run?

2. Argyle

Argyle Guest

.50 DE's range from around 1200$ to about 1700$. the 1700$ ones are the Titanium Gold DE's. very cool.

.44's are about the same. a little less.

3. Argyle

Argyle Guest

and i'm not too familiar with Cali gun laws. i would think its legal to own one. prolly have to a get a special permit depending where you live

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The Desert Eagle is certified for sale in CA in .44 Mag caliber, but the CA DOJ website does not specify the status of the .50AE.

A local sheriff's office will probably be your permit issuing authority, so that would be the best place to find out for sure.

A .50AE will start around $1000 if you can find a good deal, expect to see prices closer to what Argyle mentioned. The .44 Mag should run about $100 less.

As mentioned elsewhere, Desert Eagles are broadly considered novelty items or hunting pistols, not particularly the best choice for personal defense. Something of good quality in 9mm, .40, or .45 would be your best bet for an all around defensive/target practice semi-auto.

5. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

You just see them in the movies, they are not practical at all. Why are you looking for a gun? Home defence, target practice, hunting?

6. Drifter

Drifter wat

Yah the only .50 Desert Eagle I've seen up here is at the gun range I shoot at and it was the owner's personal weapon. All the other Desert Eagle's there were .44 caliber.

7. Argyle

Argyle Guest

a .50 DE packs a whole whole whole lot of power. too much in most people's mind for home defense. a .50 DE and a 9 mm glock will do pretty much the same thing in terms of home defense but the only difference is how much cleaning up their will be afterwards. :big grin:

a .50 DE can be used for hunting deer but problem with that is that a DE is not a long range weapon. a rifle is more pratical for hunting. so as an defense/hunting weapon, its not very practical but nonetheless, very cool to own :)

8. Troutbum

Troutbum Guest

The .50 Desert Eagle is ... an interesting gun. But as was previously mentioned, it's about utterly fuckin' useless for home-defense.

It has a low magazine capacity (not that you'll NEED more than one shot, if you hit your target :rl: ), it has a vicious recoil (I've seen people outright drop one after firing it before) ... and if you want to carry the thing, it's heavier than hell (which, I guess, might be good - when you run out of ammo you can use it like a fucking warhammer and take your attacker out medieval-style.:hammer:

I've got a .40 S&W "Baby Eagle" built by IMI; same style of weapon. Much lighter, much more compact, much more accurate, and it has an extra 3-4 round ammo capacity with standard magazines...even that is a bit too heavy for concealed-carry (remember, kiddies, only if you have a license for it!); I prefer my Glock 30 - the double-stack .45 ACP, concealed-carry model - for that...:bowdown:

As far as handgun-hunting...

a.) There are more accurate large-caliber pistols out there (I myself take a .454 Casull revolver, custom-built, to Alaska with me on fishing trips - it's more accurate, MORE than powerful enough, and significantly cheaper even though it was built just for me...

b.) There's that weight thing again...not as heavy as carting around a rifle, of course, but it's still a big-ass chunk of metal....

c.) It's costly as fuck...

d.) Ammo: See also, C.)

e.) I've never seen scope-mounts for it that weren't extremely expensive - much too much so, for scope-mounts, for chrissakes...

f.) Many states don't allow handguns that have a capacity greater than 6 rounds for use in handgun-hunting, which can render the DE a non-starter...

I *like* the IMI guns, I do. But if you just want a self-defense gun, get a Glock. They don't cost any more, and they've got numerous advantages over the Eagles...

9. nordaim

nordaim Guest

I would recommend the Walther P99 over the Glock for self-defense, mostly because they changed a few of the inherent "problems" my shooting buddies and I identified in the Glock.

Primarily that is has a de-striker and can be fired double action.

(Not to start a holy-war on this topic, just voicing what I have seen)

Of course, the Walther P99 is a "One-Size only" gun, whereas you have all the variety that Glock offers (caliber, barrel length, standard/compact/sub-compact frames).

10. Firejust

Firejust Guest

LOL, the DE.50 is completely useless for home defense. Shit, sure, its basically a one shot kill, and if the bastard is still alive, im sure he will finish the job for you. But the thing is, a .50 can rip through and entire v8 block and still keep going (granted im refering to AP but still....). I really don't think a human body is gonna do much to stop even a HP round from a DE.50. Shit, say goodbye to whoever is on the other side of the wall you staple the guy to.

11. FRED

FRED Guest

it is all about the hydroshocks baby!!!!!!!

12. JBowers24

JBowers24 Guest

My buddy hunts elk with his .50 DE He says the DE usually put em down in one shot, as opposed to 2 with his rifle

13. KingsFanPaul

KingsFanPaul Guest

ok ive done a little research on different guns and I am really liking the Glock 29. What do you guys think about this gun?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2002
  14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Love it. Buddy of mine has one, shoot it all the time. Due to the dual recoil springs, the recoil with full power 10mm loads is actually less than that of hot .40 loads through my G23.

A G29 will definitely be among the next 4 guns i buy.

Make sure you get a newer one though. Some of the early ones had issues with improper extractors causing jams. Simple $7 part swap fixed the issue, but the newer G29's come with the right part out of the box.

15. KingsFanPaul

KingsFanPaul Guest

sweet, think i may go to the shooting range and see if they have one I can try out.

16. daft punk

daft punk New Member

Baby Eagles are nice, quite accurate with the DE style we all love so much

17. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Los Angeles IS or IS TRYING to make .50 ammo illegal, which would be a de facto ban on the firearms, which would be against the california state constitiution. it'll be ruled unconstitutional, but that'll take like 3 years, so you guys in LA, have fun, and get rid of your .50 ammo. maybe you could dispose of it into a legislator's engine block. and grey davis is a douche bag of the largest caliber.

18. novass

novass Guest

LA is passing legislation on banning the .50 BMG , I dont think it involves the .50 EA.

CA LIFORNIA SUCKS ! spent 12 years there , got out 8 years ago. Best choice I ever made.

19. TGizzle

TGizzle Pimpin' the 2K8 OT Supporter

Sweeet guns :)

20. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

With tiger stripes? :wiggle:

21. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

do not get DE for home defense, can you say flash? it effectively operates as a flash bang, disabling both you and the perp

edit: i have one, so I can comment

22. Small Block LSX

:rofl: at serious response. :big grin:

23. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

damn this is old. Bring it back from the dead.

24. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

i'm occasionally tempted to sell it, but then i shoot a round through it, and in the safe it will remain

25. Small Block LSX

I couldn't resist. :o