MMA Desensitizing your shins?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by konrad109, Jun 24, 2006.

1. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Not sure if this was asked before, but are there any long term bad effects of smashing your shin bone against a heavy bag? I've gotten my right leg to where I can hit a dense bag as hard as I want without any pain; am I going to have to worry about it when I'm in my 50's and on? I gradually worked my way up, kicking it slightly harder each time and stopping when the pain got too be too much too handle. Not like I was getting fractures.

2. Placebo

Placebo New Member

You'll be fine.

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I would ask Ceaze in the F&N forum, but as far as I know there are no effects other than actually strengthening the bone.

You see when you damage a bone (let's say a fracture, but it really applies in any sense), the part that suffers the injury will actually grow back with more bone tissue in that area, making it stronger.

If that's all correct (it was 5 years ago when I took health and weight training classes, so I don't see why it wouldn't be now), then in fact it's actually beneficial to kick a heavy bag.

4. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Conditioning your shins in the way that you are doing it won't cause any serious problems. It's when people condition their shins in "extreme" manners that problems occur. If you want to know more ask, but I'm pretty sure that is all that you wanted to know.

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I was wondering if the calluses could be a problem. I heard that they can cause blood clotting.

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Yeah... Like kicking metal poles, and then your leg breaks clean.

You'd have to be an idiot to kick anything other than a bag or someone's body (and even then, there's some spots that would hurt likea mother fuck to kick, and there's vids of guys breaking their shins when they kick an opponents shin or knee)

7. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

banana trees ftw

i wish i can break a baseball bat, that would be a neat party trick:mamoru:

8. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I was fucking around the other day at my friends house and messed up my shin pretty bad. He has a new basketball hoop with a thick pad around the pole. I kicked it a few times and on one of my harder kicks I kicked a crease and nailed the metal. Instant bruise and blood. I was surprised that I didn't shatter my tibia.

I'm such a dumbass sometimes.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Ouch!

10. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

like van daaamme!

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

It's sad hearing stories of people who don't know the difference between a banana tree and a regular tree.... and they go out mess themselves up by kicking hard trees

12. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

:rofl:

13. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

id rather be desensitized then get shin splints like me :(

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'm confused, but it would be awesome if you could elaborate because once I saw illustrations of what shin splints are, I was curious if shin-kicking could cause them?

I know sometimes splints are minor fractures, so the bone-growth that is caused by shin-kicking actually is a preventative measure for that... But I've also heard that shin splints can be torn/damaged ligaments attached to the muscle that goes up the front of the shin, so it seems like hanging that muscle on something all the time might promote such things... then again I could be completely wrong, maybe it would still be beneficial to the muscle and ligaments as well :dunno:

15. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

I dunno about kicking, but shin splints were a huge problem in my track years. Especially training on the sidewalk and even the track itself. It's some of the more annoying pain I've experienced that's for sure.

16. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

They're not just desesnsitised but you also improve the strength of your bones slowly. What you don't want to do is to go faster than your bones can heal or you'll end up with some stress fractures.

17. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

uhm, i dont know what causes it but it can be so severe that just flicking them will call alot of pain. I get them sometimes when i do jump boxes.

18. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

the surrounding muscles aren't strong enough. do more calf raises and reverse calf raises.