GUN Deputy shot with "AK47" after traffic stop

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, May 12, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Anyone want to place bets on what the weapon actually was? I say SKS.

Martin County deputy shot with AK-47 during traffic stop in Port Salerno

By GABRIEL MARGASAK
    TCPalm.com
    Posted May 11 2006, 11:35 AM EDT

PORT SALERNO -- A cop's worst nightmare came true for a veteran deputy on a traffic stop in the Thursday morning darkness when the motorist allegedly got out and started shooting an AK-47 assault rifle.

Martin County Sheriff's Office Deputy Dale Howard was hit once in the arm about 1:16 a.m. on 45th Avenue, and he was flown to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach where he was expected to recover.

The alleged shooter, identified by investigators as area resident Durell Sims, 23, was later found and arrested without further violence amid a manhunt by dozens of heavily armed deputies and Stuart police, said sheriff's Capt. Ed Kirkpatrick.

The incident marked the first time in recent memory a Martin deputy had been shot in the line of duty, and there was much relief when fellow deputies and police were told the towering bomb squad technician with a deep southern voice would be OK.

"He's very lucky," Kirkpatrick said at the scene, just south of Cove Road. "We're not a little community any more."

Kirkpatrick said the incident began when Howard attempted to stop Sims' car on 45th Avenue, but he said he didn't yet know why the stop was made.

Deputies frequently patrol the area known as New Monrovia Park because of its reputation for sporadic violence and drugs.

The marked sheriff's patrol car followed Sims into the dark backyard of a home on 45 Avenue, where neighbors said Sims had lived.

"He exited his patrol car . . .," Kirkpatrick said. "The suspect exited his vehicle. Several shots were fired. The patrol car was hit several times."

The captain said he didn't know whether Howard had returned fire.

The uninjured suspect fled and Howard got on his radio, called in a description and said he had been shot.

Dozens of deputies, Stuart police and even U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents who were on duty nearby descended on the streets surrounding the shooting scene with the obvious air of urgency.

"If they're likely to shoot a deputy, they're likely to shoot someone else," Kirkpatrick said.

One of the units responding down Dixie Highway in an unmarked car was Stuart police detective Michael Gerwan.

It was about an hour after the shooting when Sims walked out of the woods and flagged him down.

"I don't think he knew right away Mike was an officer," said Stuart police Sgt. Kim Major.

She said Gerwan waited for backup and Sims was arrested without incident.

"We were very relieved to have apprehended him," she said. "He made admissions as to his involvement."

But she said Sims was turned over to the sheriff's office for questioning and she couldn't comment on what he allegedly said.

Sheriff's officials said they would release more information in the case later today.

Records, meanwhile, show Sims had a few previous problems with the law.

While there was no information yet to explain the extreme violence alleged in the Thursday traffic stop, the 23-year-old had a history of resisting an officer, according to records from the Florida Department of Law enforcement.

The records show Sims was convicted of misdemeanor resisting an officer without violence and received three days in jail in 2002.

He was convicted of violation of probation or community control in 2003 and was sentenced to a month in jail. Sims was also convicted of failure to appear at a court hearing the same year.

Already onto the next call, Major expressed the feelings likely on the minds of deputy and officers who responded to the shooting.

"It's something that you think about . . . it's where your training becomes very important," she said. "You always have to be concerned. This weaponry is out there and people aren't afraid to use it."

-- [email protected]
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...,0,4005011.story?coll=sfla-news-treasurecoast

2. CString

CString New Member

it was probably a 30-06. all those scary guns look the same to me. :noes:

3. Accord

Accord New Member

And what braindead liberals don't realize is that this would have happened regardless of whether "ASSAULT RIFLES" were banned or not.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[​IMG]
    zOMG its got a clip hanging out its an AK47 :noes: :noes:

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  5. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

They probably left out the fact that the kid had to "pump up" his AK after every shot.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Why couldn't it be a semi-auto ak-47? did I miss a part? Its not like they're expensive or hard to find?

7. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Because every bad guy uses an "AK-47", DUH!!!! Don't you watch movies!!!!!

8. It's the simple fact that 80% of cops and news reporters don't know their dick from their elbows when it comes to weapons, so anything that goes bang and relates to "evil" is usually an AK-47 because our "terrorist" attatackers carry them.

9. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Exactly.

10. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Because there pretty much are NO semi-auto AK-47's. The A in AK stands for avtomat. It can't be an avtomat if it's semi-auto. If it's a stock semi-auto, then it's a different model, such as a SAR-1, MAK-90, etc.

11. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Wow, can you be any more of a faggot?

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Learned something new...

13. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I doubt he can but...

It's no different than if the guy had a semi-auto AR style rifle and it was reported that he was armed with a M-16. It's anal, sure, but it's important to make the distinction. Like it or not it's part of the "PR" war we have to fight to try to dispell all the anti-gun FUD that's flung about every day.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Lets take a survey of gun owners and see how many says that they have a "x variant" and how many say ak-47. Right or wrong I think a popularized acceptable use just like kleenex. I never hear ar15 owners call their guns m16s. Why it wound up working that way, I don't know, but I won't argue because when I say semi-auto ak-47 everyone knows what I mean. If I say mak-90 they'll stare at me.

15. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Rappers have "AK's." Regular people should use the proper terms. As someone else stated, it's about correctness. If the media are going to label everything an "assault weapon," and call any AK variant an "AK-47," then it's wise to counter that by using the true name of the model any time you have the chance. Eventually, people might realize what the difference is.

16. striker754

striker754 Chillin

:rofl: :rofl: so my ak is a "GLOBAL TRADES ROMANIAN 7.62" ? So when people ask if my gun is an AK, I should say that its a Global Trades Romanian gun, right? They are all AKs. Stop being a douchebag, no one cares what the letters mean. Its an AK type weapon. Get over it.

:gtfo:

17. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Whether it's nitpicking or not, they didn't even describe the gun in the article, so we don't even know if it was an AK variant!